Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Adam And Eve In Quran

Tagged: ,

• Adam And Eve In Quran

Posted by Ammad Butt on September 13, 2020 at 2:24 am

I’ve listened a lot of discussions about the story of Adam and Eve from different scholars. And I agree with the interpretation of Sir Ghamdi that they committed adultery and didn’t eat any fruit. It makes more logical sense. My question realted to this topic is that why Allah never used the direct words of adultery whenever He told us the story of Adam and Eve? Why He always used the term of eating fruit or the reference of tree?

Hasan-Ali Younis replied 3 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • Adam And Eve In Quran

Hasan-Ali Younis updated 3 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 24 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator September 13, 2020 at 3:32 am

Two points in this regard might help understand the reasoning being choosing of such words:

1) Adam and Eve (AS) were a couple to begin with. They were husband and wife who were prohibited from engaging in any such marital activity. Therefore, considering the nature of their relationship, the use of word adultery (or any other similar connotation) was not suitable for them.

2) Quran, in addition to being the final testament of Allah, is also an amazing literary piece. Therefore, the use of metaphors and analogies are a primary characteristics of any literary work. And when the words are from God himself, then places where intimate meanings can be expressed fully in terms of metaphors or analogies, the same should be preferred. This keeps both the literary structure of the book intact as well as conveys the intimate meanings in a pure manner. The same can be seen at different other places as well. For instance:

نِسَآؤُكُمْ حَرْثٌ لَّكُمْ فَأْتُواْ حَرْثَكُمْ أَنَّى شِئْتُمْ وَقَدِّمُواْ لأَنفُسِكُمْ وَاتَّقُواْ اللّهَ وَاعْلَمُواْ أَنَّكُم مُّلاَقُوهُ وَبَشِّرِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ

These women of yours are your cultivated land; go, then, into your lands in any manner you please [and through this] plan for the future [of both this and the next world] and remain fearful to God. And bear in mind that you shall necessarily meet Him [one day]. And [O Prophet!] Give good tidings [of success and salvation] to the believers [on that Day]. (2:223)

أُحِلَّ لَكُمْ لَيْلَةَ الصِّيَامِ الرَّفَثُ إِلَى نِسَآئِكُمْ هُنَّ لِبَاسٌ لَّكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لِبَاسٌ لَّهُنَّ عَلِمَ اللّهُ أَنَّكُمْ كُنتُمْ تَخْتانُونَ أَنفُسَكُمْ فَتَابَ عَلَيْكُمْ وَعَفَا عَنكُمْ فَالآنَ بَاشِرُوهُنَّ وَابْتَغُواْ مَا كَتَبَ اللّهُ لَكُمْ وَكُلُواْ وَاشْرَبُواْ حَتَّى يَتَبَيَّنَ لَكُمُ الْخَيْطُ الأَبْيَضُ مِنَ الْخَيْطِ الأَسْوَدِ مِنَ الْفَجْرِ ثُمَّ أَتِمُّواْ الصِّيَامَ إِلَى الَّليْلِ وَلاَ تُبَاشِرُوهُنَّ وَأَنتُمْ عَاكِفُونَ فِي الْمَسَاجِدِ تِلْكَ حُدُودُ اللّهِ فَلاَ تَقْرَبُوهَا كَذَلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللّهُ آيَاتِهِ لِلنَّاسِ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَتَّقُونَ (187:2)

It is lawful for you to lie with your wives on the night of the fast; they are apparel to you as you are to them. God knew that you were being dishonest with yourselves. He has relented towards you and pardoned you. Therefore, [without any hesitation] you may now lie with them and [without any hesitation] seek what God has ordained for you. And eat and drink until the white thread of the dawn is totally evident to you from the black thread of night. Then complete the fast till nightfall and do not lie with them [even at night] when you are stationed for itikaf in the mosques. These are the bounds set by God: do not approach them. Thus He makes known His revelations to mankind that they may attain righteousness. (2:187)

• Ammad Butt

Member September 13, 2020 at 3:47 am

I had such kind of reasoning already in mind. I’m satisfied now with the explanation.

Thanks

• Rafia Khawaja

Member September 13, 2020 at 5:48 pm

I heard from scholars that Adam and Eve became husband and wife after they Apple tree incident. Also they had engaged in a forbidden sexual activity and that is why both Adam and Eve did taubah & asked Allah for forgiveness and Allah accepted their Taubah

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 4, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Read and judge yorself. I think Adam and Eve were married and may had children in heaven. As I see in a few places, Allah says “go down all of you” …not both of you. Allah is addressing many people at varios places.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 4, 2021 at 7:55 pm

Please listen to this lecture in the following thread to understand the basis of the whole Adam and Eve incident:

Discussion 14431 • Reply 14462

• Hakim Ali

Member February 6, 2021 at 2:14 am

Go down all of you include Adam Eve and iblees

And also it was said after they had eaten the fruit it is possible that they had children

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 9:00 am

Hello All: I put together the timeline of all events to the best I could in a short time. I believe the tree can’t be the physical relationship between Adam and Eve. See attached with references.

• Ahsan

Moderator February 5, 2021 at 9:07 am

Thanks for the share

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2021 at 10:26 am

Nadeem sahab did you go through the video above to understand why Ghamidi sahab has understood the tree to be that of procreation?

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 2:23 pm

It is a long video and I have not gone through the entirety. The premise threw me off, but I will make effort to listen to it completely and then comment.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 3:02 pm

I listened to the video, 9 min out of 50. I do not see the purpose of listening any further as I have fundamental differences in how Ghamidi Sahib stretches the meaning in a completely different direction based on his opinion and without strong references. Here are the notes I took.

-It is a far stretch that heaven was on earth as Iblis, Adam and humans were sent down to Earth for a while. To me it is very clear.

-Also if they were on Earth, why their bodies were not visible to them until they ate the tree

-The tree was not for eternal life as Ghamidi Sahib explains, to me Iblis told Adam that this tree is to achieve eternal life. Later Ghamidi Sahib stated what I said. So no difference.

-Generally I feel Ghamidi Sahib stretches the meaning too far on most vague subjects and takes in a completely different direction. I find Quran meaning very direct and streight forward, except for minor differences in treanslation.

• Hakim Ali

Member February 6, 2021 at 2:01 am

Sir ghamidi Saab answered why their bodies were no visible to them i think you should listen ghamidi saab’s complete video .. i hope you will get your answer

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2021 at 3:05 pm

He has provided verse references for his understanding. I was trying to fugue out if you have looked at those verses. If you have and still have a different opinion then that’s okay.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 3:21 pm

You can see my references to each and every statements I made in the attached pdf timeline. I have read each and every verse numerous times and I find the whole story very streight forward with little vagueness remaining.

I will next put the meaning of each key verse next to the statement and share with you for your opinion.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2021 at 3:39 pm

The key is to be able to judge the evidence that others provide in an open minded manner. When we pre-suppose something while reading the Quran, it’s easy to get misled. However, being able to critically analyze another person’s opinion is how we can really get closer to the truth. Quran verse 7:27 is very clear that Satan seduced Adam and Eve and drove them out of the garden. In that verse God is asking us to be aware of Satan because he will seduce us in the same way.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 5:36 pm

I agree with the translation of the verse uou provided, but the underlying meaning of how Adam was deceived needs to be explored.

I am always open minded and I will change my stance if I find a mistake in my approach. Since I did not trust any scholar and did not go to any school of thought, I started with a clean slate without bias. But I may be sticking to the first meaning that I understood from the most reasonable translation I found. Let me send you my version of translation for these verses and I will let you comment on it.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 7:59 pm

Faisal see attached. See my comments on the last column too. I looked at it more carefully and it seems more logical that Adam and Eve were sent down to Earth from heaven. As heaven is on a higher universe and earth is on a lower universe so most of Ayahs say they were sent down. Sending down makes more sense then Adam and Eve living on Earth and the paradise was taken away from them.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2021 at 8:24 pm

The argument can’t be made solely on the basis of sending “down”, especially when Quran verse 14:48 indicates that the heavens and earth of the hereafter are yet to be created. Down is used in many languages in other meaning too, for example “down the lane” doesn’t mean on a lower plane. Moreover, what evidence do we have to conclude that the heaven is on some higher plane than the earth? In fact what’s a plane when used in reference to the heaven anyway?

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 8:38 pm

[14:48] The day will come when this earth will be substituted with a new earth, and also the heavens, and everyone will be brought before GOD, the One, the Supreme.

—–+-

This verse is talking about the last day

—-+-

When you get a chance, please look at the pdf. Universe and earth were created before creation of human. I can send you that timeline too.

When I say Allah sent Adam down, this is not the only argument. Please see pdf as there is too much to write here.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 9:24 pm

To answer your comment sbout universes. Quran clearly states, universes are created in layers and the lowest one is adorned with stars.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2021 at 9:49 pm

I have seen the attachment, however, there are many things that Ghamidi sahab doesn’t agree with. While this kind of information in the Quran might be open to interpretation, I do find weight in Ghamidi sahab’s understanding.

I think that you’re referring to Quran verse 37:6 in regards to layers. That’s not how I see that verse. All that verse is saying is that the skies that we can see (closest to us) are adorned with stars. This is in reference to people who were alleging that the message of the Quran was being corrupted by the jinns during transmission / revelation. If you read this verse in context of Quran verse 65:12 it will make sense why the word closest had to be used. 65:12 tells us that God has created 7 universes (heavens and earths) that have life on them. However, we don’t know how low or how high those other universes are in reference to our universe.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 5, 2021 at 10:36 pm

23:17

Sahih International: And We have created above you seven layered heavens, and never have We been of [Our] creation unaware.

Pickthall: And We have created above you seven paths, and We are never unmindful of creation.

Yusuf Ali: And We have made, above you, seven tracts; and We are never unmindful of (our) Creation.

Shakir: And certainly We made above you seven heavens; and never are We heedless of creation.

Muhammad Sarwar: We have created seven heavens above you and have never been neglectful to Our Creation.

Mohsin Khan: And indeed We have created above you seven heavens (one over the other), and We are never unaware of the creation.

Arberry: And We created above you seven ways, and We were not heedless of creation

——————————–

37:6

Sahih International: Indeed, We have adorned the nearest heaven with an adornment of stars

Pickthall: Lo! We have adorned the lowest heaven with an ornament, the planets;

Yusuf Ali: We have indeed decked the lower heaven with beauty (in) the stars,-

Shakir: Surely We have adorned the nearest heaven with an adornment, the stars,

Muhammad Sarwar: We have decked the lower heavens with stars

Mohsin Khan: Verily! We have adorned the near heaven with the stars (for beauty).

Arberry: We have adorned the lower heaven with the adornment of the stars

—————————————–

41:12

Sahih International: And He completed them as seven heavens within two days and inspired in each heaven its command. And We adorned the nearest heaven with lamps and as protection. That is the determination of the Exalted in Might, the Knowing.

Pickthall: Then He ordained them seven heavens in two Days and inspired in each heaven its mandate; and We decked the nether heaven with lamps, and rendered it inviolable. That is the measuring of the Mighty, the Knower.

Yusuf Ali: So He completed them as seven firmaments in two Days, and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command. And We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard. Such is the Decree of (Him) the Exalted in Might, Full of Knowledge.

Shakir: So He ordained them seven heavens in two periods, and revealed in every heaven its affair; and We adorned the lower heaven with brilliant stars and (made it) to guard; that is the decree of the Mighty, the Knowing.

Muhammad Sarwar: He formed the seven heavens in two days and revealed to each one its task. He decked the sky above the earth with torches and protected it from (intruders).. Such is the design of the Majestic and All-knowing God”.

Mohsin Khan: Then He completed and finished from their creation (as) seven heavens in two Days and He made in each heaven its affair. And We adorned the nearest (lowest) heaven with lamps (stars) to be an adornment as well as to guard (from the devils by using them as missiles against the devils). Such is the Decree of Him the All-Mighty, the All-Knower.

Arberry: So He determined them as seven heavens in two days, and revealed its commandment in every heaven.’

——————————————-

7:13

Sahih International: [Allah] said, “Descend from Paradise, for it is not for you to be arrogant therein. So get out; indeed, you are of the debased.

Pickthall: He said: Then go down hence! It is not for thee to show pride here, so go forth! Lo! thou art of those degraded.

Yusuf Ali: (Allah) said: “Get thee down from this: it is not for thee to be arrogant here: get out, for thou art of the meanest (of creatures).”

Shakir: He said: Then get forth from this (state), for it does not befit you to behave proudly therein. Go forth, therefore, surely you are of the abject ones.

Muhammad Sarwar: The Lord ordered Satan to get out (of Paradise) saying, “This is no place for you to be proud. Get out of this place, for you are worthless”.

Mohsin Khan: (Allah) said: “(O Iblis) get down from this (Paradise), it is not for you to be arrogant here. Get out, for you are of those humiliated and disgraced.”

Arberry: Said He, ‘Get thee down out of it; it is not for thee to wax proud here, so go thou forth; surely thou art among the humbled.’

————————————————

2:36

Sahih International: But Satan caused them to slip out of it and removed them from that [condition] in which they had been. And We said, “Go down, [all of you], as enemies to one another, and you will have upon the earth a place of settlement and provision for a time.”

Pickthall: But Satan caused them to deflect therefrom and expelled them from the (happy) state in which they were; and We said: Fall down, one of you a foe unto the other! There shall be for you on earth a habitation and provision for a time.

Yusuf Ali: Then did Satan make them slip from the (garden), and get them out of the state (of felicity) in which they had been. We said: “Get ye down, all (ye people), with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood – for a time.”

Shakir: But the Shaitan made them both fall from it, and caused them to depart from that (state) in which they were; and We said: Get forth, some of you being the enemies of others, and there is for you in the earth an abode and a provision for a time.

Muhammad Sarwar: Satan made Adam and his spouse err and caused them to abandon the state in which they had been living. Then We said, “Descend, you are each other’s enemies! The earth will be a dwelling place for you and it will provide you with sustenance for an appointed time.

Mohsin Khan: Then the Shaitan (Satan) made them slip therefrom (the Paradise), and got them out from that in which they were. We said: “Get you down, all, with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be a dwelling place for you and an enjoyment for a time.”

Arberry: Then Satan caused them to slip therefrom and brought them out of that they were in; and We said, ‘Get you all down, each of you an enemy of each; and in the earth a sojourn shall be yours, and enjoyment for a time.’

—————————————————–

[7:172] Recall that your Lord summoned all the descendants of Adam, and had them bear witness for themselves: “Am I not your Lord?” They all said, “Yes. We bear witness.” Thus, you cannot say on the Day of Resurrection, “We were not aware of this.”

———————–

[36:60] Did I not covenant with you, O Children of Adam, that you shall not worship the devil? That he is your most ardent enemy?

————————

[33:72] We have offered the responsibility (freedom of choice) to the heavens and the earth, and the mountains, but they refused to bear it, and were afraid of it. But the human being accepted it; he was transgressing, ignorant.

————————————–

2:38

Sahih International: We said, “Go down from it, all of you. And when guidance comes to you from Me, whoever follows My guidance – there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve.

Pickthall: We said: Go down, all of you, from hence; but verily there cometh unto you from Me a guidance; and whoso followeth My guidance, there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

Yusuf Ali: We said: “Get ye down all from here; and if, as is sure, there comes to you Guidance from me, whosoever follows My guidance, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

Shakir: We said: Go forth from this (state) all; so surely there will come to you a guidance from Me, then whoever follows My guidance, no fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve.

Muhammad Sarwar: We ordered them all to get out of the garden and told them that when Our guidance came to them, those who would follow it would have neither fear nor grief.

Mohsin Khan: We said: “Get down all of you from this place (the Paradise), then whenever there comes to you Guidance from Me, and whoever follows My Guidance, there shall be no fear on them, nor shall they grieve.

Arberry: We said, ‘Get you down out of it, all together; yet there shall come to you guidance from Me, and whosoever follows My guidance, no fear shall be on them, neither shall they sorrow.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 6, 2021 at 10:03 am

At the end I think everything is feasible. I compared two approaches together in the attached PDF and both can make sense to different people differently.

• Hasan-Ali Younis

Member February 6, 2021 at 2:24 pm

The understanding of mine is that given the theory of evolution , Adam was the first of the cognitive revolution and he was born in the likeness of Isa Alaysalam and this was mentioned probably in the Quran mentioned this due to the misconceptions people have of those two prophets lacking one or both parents.

Quran (3:59):

اِنَّ مَثَلَ عِيۡسٰى عِنۡدَ اللّٰهِ كَمَثَلِ اٰدَمَ​ؕ خَلَقَهٗ مِنۡ تُرَابٍ ثُمَّ قَالَ لَهٗ كُنۡ فَيَكُوۡنُ‏

Surely the likeness of Isa (Jesus) in the Providence of Allah is as the likeness of Adam. He Allah) created him of dust, thereafter He said to him, “Be!” so he is (i.e., he was).

Prophet Adam Alaysalam in my understanding was born on Earth given that Jannah means a garden it doesn’t specify where exactly it is. Allah even mentions in Surah Al Anita that the earth and heavens were created from one cell.

Also Quran 2:30 shows that Allah sent Adam Alaysalam as a kalipha and a successor on the earth, who was he a successor of, other hominens.

This is just my understanding, Allahu Alim.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register