Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Praying And Fasting In The Poles

Tagged: , ,

• Praying And Fasting In The Poles

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on September 13, 2020 at 4:20 pm

There seems to be no religious directive or compatibility with praying or fasting in the poles. Isn’t this a big problem? Why should something so important be left to ijtihaad? It’s a basic matter I mean.

Umer replied 2 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Praying And Fasting In The Poles

Umer updated 2 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator September 16, 2020 at 7:59 am

The Principle has been laid out in the Quran which is the actual ‘illat'(conditions) i.e ‘usar’ under which fasts can be postponed or left for the time being. The matter of application can never be exhaustive in any book because the applications keep changing with time, norms and technological advancements of human race.

For further insight, please refer to the video below from 1:36:54 to 1:41:51 and from 1:54:08 to 1:59:41

https://youtu.be/uqa3IcMVdW0?t=5814

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 22, 2020 at 7:36 am

What about prayer times?

• Umer

Moderator September 22, 2020 at 11:05 am

In the presence of Usar, we have guidelines on how to convene Ibadah.

In the absence of usar, we will do ijtihaad.

• Faizan

Member September 22, 2020 at 8:42 pm

@UmerQureshi

Why is there a need for Usar when relaxation of combining prayers is present. I can understand Usar in case of fasting. But, didn’t understand need for additional *usar* for prayers?

Maybe I’m missing something 🧐

• Umer

Moderator September 23, 2020 at 11:04 am

Usar is a prerequisite for relaxation in prayers as well (whether it be combining of prayers or doing qasar). There is a famous narration from Ibn-e-Abbas (rta) which does give an impression that this relaxation is not subject to any conditions. But when seen in the framework of Quran, those ahadith are also subject to usar.

Therefore, usar for fasting can be understood in the poles when a fast can become very long, but in case of Prayers, there is no such usar on the face of it, therefore, there is need to do ijtihaad on how to conduct five prayers during the day.

This point has been explored further, regarding relaxation of Prayers/Salah by Ghamidi Sahab.

Please refer to the same video above from 1:54:08 to 1:59:41

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 12, 2021 at 11:09 am

‘Therefore, usar for fasting can be understood in the poles when a fast can become very long, but in case of Prayers, there is no such usar on the face of it, therefore, there is need to do ijtihaad on how to conduct five prayers during the day.’

This means that people living in the poles have to pray according to their times?

• Umer

Moderator July 13, 2021 at 4:53 am

I am not a scholar and therefore not a competent person to do ijtihaad in this matter. However, it seems reaonable to me to divide time in 5 portions where praying can be feasible for them, or they can follow timings of Saudi Arabia (if feasible) the way some countries do w.r.t fasting.

• Faizan

Member September 23, 2020 at 12:08 pm

@UmerQureshi

“Usar is a prerequisite for relaxation in prayers as well “

I thought prayer could be combined without a need for it.

Thank you for clarifying this.

I’ll watch the video. Thanks

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 28, 2021 at 5:26 am

Since we are laymen please could you get some scholar to do ijtihaad for us. In Germany, in winters, isha happens at 10:50pm with fajr at 3:30am. Can we combine prayers or do something here or not?

Another point is that some people believe these rituals were only meant for Arabia. How does it make sense that an all knowing God gives a prayer schedule like this when he knows that humans will live near the poles?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 28, 2021 at 5:27 am
    • Nadeem Minhas

Member July 12, 2021 at 2:02 pm

If tomorrow people start living on Moon or Mars, would we expect quran to address this?

As Allah said his word doesn’t end at Quran. If there was as much ink as 7 oceans, Allah’s word won’t end. So should Quran be that big to cover everything people will encounter? Allah has setup basic rules and then it is also the person’s intention that can determine what might be acceptable in term of our obligations to Allah. Ijtihad is the same. On North pole, people sleep, wake up and work just like a normal day or night. They can do the fasting and prayers the same way especially if they are living there long term. Similarly in Germany, perhaps Magrib and Isha can be combined and Fajar can be prayed later.

I don’t think Allah is so cruel that he will be nitpicking especially when there is an overwhelming reason.

We are making religion too rigid and too difficult.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 29, 2021 at 4:41 am

A set of exceptions introduced along with Shariah, first by God Himself in Quran to let people teach that the rest of the innumerable situations which demand exceptions or ruling should be decided by them. No Shariah could be possible to encompass all exceptions or most of the exceptions. So we do Ijtihad.

The discussion "Praying And Fasting In The Poles" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now