Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Preservation Of Uswah E Hasana

• Preservation Of Uswah E Hasana

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator September 14, 2020 at 10:24 am

It is preserved through Akhbar-i-Ahad which is a less credible mode of transmission in comparison to Ijma and Tawatur.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 14, 2020 at 10:26 am

But certain actions like washing mouth and nose in wudu are preserved right?

https://legacy.quran.com/33/21

When the Quran talks about the best example that obviously means we have to follow it. So if it’s not given to us fully reliably then how can we follow it? Doesn’t this make an extra source of the deen eg from akhbar i ahad

• Umer

Moderator September 14, 2020 at 10:42 am

Mouth and nose cleansing are part of an independent Sunnah.

We can follow Prophet’s (sws) uswa the same way we follow other akhbar-i-ahad in our daily lives but with additional controls being put in place to verify those akhbar-i-ahad since its a sensitive matter of association with Prophet of Islam (sws).

The verses you just referred to, if seen in their proper context, are addressing specific situation of war of Ahzaab:

لَقَدْ كَانَ لَكُمْ فِیْ رَسُوْلِ اللَّهِ أُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَةٌ لِّمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو اللَّهَ وَالْيَوْمَ الْآخِرَ وَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ كَثِيْرًا. وَلَمَّا رَاَ الْمُؤْمِنُوْنَ الْأَحْزَابَ قَالُوْا هَذَا مَا وَعَدَنَا اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَصَدَقَ اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَمَا زَادَهُمْ إِلَّا إِيمَانًا وَّتَسْلِيمًا.

[People!] In the messenger of God was the best example [of steadfastness and resolve] for you [at that time], for those who expect to meet God and [to see] the Hereafter and remember God in abundance. And [the situation] of the true believers [at that time was such that] when [they] saw the armies, they cried out: “This is the same thing which God and His messenger had promised us and what God and His messenger said was absolutely true.” And, [instead of causing any weakness in these people,] this thing increased their faith and obedience even more. (33:21-22)

Irrespective of these verses, it is a natural wish and tendency of every Muslim to follow the uswa of Prophet Muhammad (sws) in every matter of religion, which will be done in the light of available sources (i.e. akbar-i-ahad). But a Qualification is always necessary to put before this i.e. ‘This doesn’t add or reduce anything from the religion’. For further insight, you can also refer to the following video:

Discussion 30805 • Reply 30815

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 14, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Bhai there are many verses talking about the perfect example, do all have a context like this then?

• Umer

Moderator September 16, 2020 at 7:11 am

Please quote those “many” verses, as this is the only famous verse in this regard. As far as I can tell, Uswa-e-Hasana has been used in three places in Quran, one as mentioned above (33:21) and other two places are (60:4) and (60:6); the latter two are in context of uswa of Prophet Abraham (AS).

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 16, 2020 at 9:07 am

Sorry I read my source wrong- thanks

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register