Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Tie In Musa عليه السلام Tongue

Tagged: , ,

• Tie In Musa عليه السلام Tongue

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on September 14, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Was the knot untied? Did Musa عليه السلام eat a burning coal?

Why did firaun say this?

Az-Zukhruf 43:52

أَمۡ أَنَا۠ خَيۡرٌ مِّنۡ هَٰذَا ٱلَّذِى هُوَ مَهِينٌ وَلَا يَكَادُ يُبِينُ

English – Yusuf Ali

“Am I not better than this (Moses), who is a contemptible wretch and can scarcely express himself clearly?

English – Sahih International

Or am I [not] better than this one who is insignificant and hardly makes himself clear?

English – Transliteration

Am ana khayrun min hatha allatheehuwa maheenun wala yakadu yubeen

English – Pickthall

I am surely better than this fellow, who is despicable and can hardly make (his meaning) plain!

Umer replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Tie In Musa عليه السلام Tongue

Umer updated 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator September 16, 2020 at 6:28 am

Eating of ‘Burning coal’ is a historical narration for which we have no authentic basis to prove whether it actually happened or not, and even if happened, what was the exact nature of this incident.

The verse however has no need to be seen in the context of this historical narration, it can be understood independently in terms of a derogatory remark to bring someone down e.g. “this person A is not even a good speaker, let alone a philosopher or an intellectual”.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 16, 2020 at 7:10 am

So it was a lie of Firaun- just an empty statement? I ask because was Musa عليه السلام then able to communicate the word of God in a away that itmam e hujjat be done?

• Umer

Moderator September 16, 2020 at 7:15 am

It is just a statement out of animosity. We experience such political statements being made by politicians every day against each other.

I am not denying the possibility of coal incident, its just this fact that the above statement is understandable even without any such incident happening in the background.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 12, 2020 at 8:23 pm

@UmerQureshi but they’re must have been some trigger for firaun to say this. Right? He obviously didn’t just randomly blurt this out just out of ‘animosity’. Is there any other possible explanation other than the coal thing?

• Saba Madani

Member October 12, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Some people are more elequent in speech than others. No need to bring burning cole incident.. It appears that Musa a.s was not very elequent because in another place in Qur’an he a.s says ” my brother Haroon is more elequent than me

وَأَخِى هَٰرُونُ هُوَ أَفْصَحُ مِنِّى لِسَانًا فَأَرْسِلْهُ مَعِىَ رِدْءًا يُصَدِّقُنِىٓ

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 12, 2020 at 10:43 pm

But we know with full certainty the message was converted in truth with clarity. It was perhaps just the method of speaking or style that firaun was making fun of

• Saba Madani

Member October 12, 2020 at 10:47 pm

The message was converted in truth with clarity with the help of his brother Haroon ,perhaps

• Umer

Moderator October 13, 2020 at 2:29 pm

The message of religion is not very intricate so as to require an eloquent speaker in order to convey it properly. And being a good speaker is not a requirement of prophethood, the only thing all Prophets possess before prophethood is the piety and ethical character of highest levels. Rest of the traits and their personalities vary the same way we see such diversity in other humans. Every Prophet is a great example of piety and ethical character within the bounds of same traits they posses as a human being. Moses (SWS) not being a good speaker does in no way necessitate the message not being converted in truth with clarity. And to get the attention of the monarch of His time, He was given extraordinary miracles which were sufficient to compensate for his lack of speaking skills. In addition to that, Haroon (AS) was given prophethood as well to support him and be his arm in this cause (as pointed out by sister above).

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register