A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Eyebrows Wudu

Tagged: 

• Eyebrows Wudu

Haseeb Faisal updated 2 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 20, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Quite naturally, this kind of things are not a matter of law, but that of personal conviction, taste, as well as circumstances, and available resources.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 20, 2020 at 5:19 pm

So as long as we ‘wash’ it should be fine right?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 20, 2020 at 5:21 pm

The requirement is to wash the face. As long as that’s done in a reasonable manner, the wudu is considered complete.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 23, 2021 at 3:21 pm

So this means that there isn’t any strict requirement on focussing on between nostrils, lips, etc. while washing the face – just wash it in a thorough and reasonable manner? I guess some people might have slight variations, which is okay. Am I correct?

• Umer

Moderator December 23, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Yes

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 23, 2021 at 4:10 pm

JazakAllah!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 24, 2021 at 7:05 pm

Sorry I just wanted to clarify a couple questions, if you can please answer them each separately.

1.) While washing my face during wudu, is how much of the lips I consider to be a part of the face a matter of personal conviction? Because I know you said that I don’t have to focus on the lips specifically.

2.) Are the places on my face where I consider water to have reached naturally a matter of personal conviction? For instance, when I pour water on my face, I may feel that the water reaches my cheeks fully, which is why I would not spend any time rubbing there. But I might feel that lesser water than appropriate reaches around the chin area, which is why I would spend a reasonable amount of time rubbing there.

Of course, in both cases I would be washing in a way that is thorough and reasonable.

JazakAllah for your help!

• Umer

Moderator December 27, 2021 at 2:43 pm

1) No such demarcation can be done as it is against both the human nature and logic. Such matters have been left to humans and humans have been complying with them without any major issue on their part. Diversity and slight variations that are inherent in human nature have been recognized by religion as well and room for differences has been alotted. How much lips you wash along with your face, whether your lips were closed at a particulr instance while washing your face etc. have no bearing on your wuzu if you’re following a natural way of doing such things and are doing it in a reasonable and a thorough manner.

2) This is also the same matter, more or less. If you genuinely know for a fact that water hasn’t reached any partcular area, you can rub it or you can pour more water on that area. The point is that these things should flow in natural way and we shoudn’t engage ourselves in useless doubts.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 28, 2021 at 3:18 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi,

1.) Got it, what you’re saying makes a lot of sense. The main point is that washing should occur in a natural manner. So, can I extend this to all aspects of washing?

For example, I’ve seen some religious figures/scholars (?) make a point that wudu should be done in order and that any particular action of wudu can be done up to a maximum of three times and not more. So, if I’ve finished all the aspects of wudu and am now washing my feet, if I feel a drop of water on my lips and decide to suck that drop in and spit it out, this clearly falls under you explanation of doing things in a natural way (at least according to my nature), correct? I mean to say, this wouldn’t fall under me rinsing my mouth at the wrong time or more than three times (if I have already done that)? Likewise for any other time where I might tend to a portion of my body during wudu when it isn’t the turn to do so, or when I have already done so a maximum of three times?

Basically my question is that this point about doing things in a natural way, that applies at any points where there might be grey area? And I’m not obligated to follow what any scholar says?

2.) The other thing, Mr. Umer Qureshi, is that although what you’re saying makes the most sense to me logically speaking, I’m just very confused when I read online fatwas, if I can give you some examples. For instance, I believe I saw a list of makruh actions during wudu, one of which was to close the eyes while pouring water over and washing the face. Similarly, I saw elsewhere that somebody wrote washing the face is not considered complete if the area between the sideburns and ears is not covered, as well as the area between the nostrils. The people writing these points present such categorical and firm rulings on these matters, which is why I start to wonder if what they’re saying is on the basis of what is found in the Quran and Sunnah – but this isn’t the case, right? If not, then is there any reason why some religious figures give rulings on such nitty gritty matters and how exactly does Ghamidi Sahab differ from these scholars in his approach on these matters if you can please clarify?

JazakAllah!

• Umer

Moderator December 28, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Haseeb Sahab, the topic has deviated too much from the primary question. It would be better if you could post it as a separate question. Thanks.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 28, 2021 at 4:46 pm

Oh, sorry about that! Will do!

JazakAllah

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register