To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Exams, Combining Prayers And Tayammum

Tagged: ,

• Exams, Combining Prayers And Tayammum

Afia Khan updated 3 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 23, 2020 at 9:07 am

Home*

And I can’t pray in the break because dhuhr doesn’t start. Is it a valid excuse to combine with asr?

• Umer

Moderator September 23, 2020 at 10:31 am

If you can find Dhuhr in its time (whether it be on a train or otherwise), it is encouraged that you do that on time (you can also perform qasar). But if that’s not possible, you can combine your dhuhr with Asar, that’s totally fine.

Best of Luck for the Exams.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 23, 2020 at 8:25 pm

I think it would be quite difficult to pray on the train especially with difficulty of doing wudu etc.

Thanks!

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 23, 2020 at 10:56 pm

Perhaps you can perform wudu before you get on the train. If that’s not possible and you can’t perform wudu on the train either then you always have the option of performing tayyamum. As Umer stated, you can combine Zuhr and Asr in your situation as well. Similarly, Maghrib and Isha can be combined if a need arises.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 24, 2020 at 1:50 am

Are we talking about possibility or ease? It’s possible to do anything. But it would be a whole lot easier to combine the prayers

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 24, 2020 at 2:00 am

Also how would I do tayammun? Where would I get dust from in the uk? If anything water is easier to find. But doing wudu itself would be difficult

• Umer

Moderator September 24, 2020 at 8:04 am

You can decide better depending upon your situation.

Question:

Is clean soil the requirement for Tayammum or can the hands be touched on any clean surface? What if no soil is available? Is one supposed to rub the dust on his face and hands?

Answer:

Clean soil or dust is the requirement of Tayammum. Dust can be found on walls, tables and other surfaces.

It is not necessary to rub the dust on your face or hands. After rubbing your hands with dust you can blow it away and then do masah. This is because Tayammum is just a symbolic replacement of the real ways of attaining purity: wudū and ghusl. Ammār Ibn Yāsir while recounting one of his travels in which he did Tayammum says:

Then I rolled over in the soil [and offered my prayer]. When I mentioned this before the Prophet (sws) he said: It was sufficient if you had just done this: The Prophet (sws) touched the ground and then blew away the dust from his hands and then rubbed them on his face and arms up to the elbows.(Abū Dā`ūd; Kitābu’l Tahārah)

(Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

https://dar-us-salam.com/miscellaneous/prayer-related/245-tayammum-pad-with-dust-for-dry-ablution.html

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 24, 2020 at 8:06 am

How can dust be found in walls or other surfaces? They are just clean surfaces with not dust really

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 24, 2020 at 11:06 am

There are generally dust particles found on walls and other flat surfaces, unless of course one lives in a vacuum.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 24, 2020 at 12:57 pm

😅

But in all seriousness the wind and rain doesn’t really leave any dust. It is just a clear empty surface. Like I wouldn’t get any dust on my hand if I wiped the wall at all

• Umer

Moderator September 29, 2020 at 7:17 am
    • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 29, 2020 at 12:01 pm

So even if there’s no dust on the table we can do it? Is this an ijtihaad because obviously Quran says use dust.

And if the time is so important- should I really be combining prayers (i pray dhuhr as soon as I get gone- then asr maybe a bit later- even thoughts it’s time has arrived). Or should I just- however I am on the train pray?

• Umer

Moderator September 30, 2020 at 11:59 am

Quran does not use the word ‘dust’ in those verses (4:43 and 5:6). The words used are فَتَيَمَّمُوا صَعِيدًا طَيِّبًا — the word ’صعید‘ refers to earth’s surface, which means one should refer to any clean earth surface and perform its masah on one’s hands and face. Since clean earth surface would usually contain dust as well, therefore dust becomes a corollary of this directive. On the same basis, ijtihad of doing tayammum on earthly things and things which have some earthly resemblance like walls, tables and other surfaces which collect soil or dust in/on them, sounds appropriate.

• Saiyed juned Alimiya

Member February 21, 2021 at 10:26 pm

JJazakomollah

• Afia Khan

Member February 21, 2021 at 10:42 pm

I know someone who carries a light stone with her for tayammum, specially when traveling. Best of luck for your exam!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register