Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Taxes And Zakat

Tagged: ,

• Taxes And Zakat

Posted by Rafia Khawaja on September 23, 2020 at 5:29 pm

In all Muslim countries the State has to collect Zakat to run the machinery of the State. But this does not happen in our country as the government does not disclose how much Zakat has been collected and how it has been spent.! So many people prefer to pay Zakat themselves to the needy. Meanwhile the Government collects taxes. Everything is taxed, electricity, water, gas, telephone, airline and rail tickets, property tax, and income tax. 15% tax is deducted on every dividend income on stocks. In the end one finds your taxes paid are much more than the amount of Zakat liable on you.

What does one do? Ghamidi Sahib says if your paid taxes are more than your Zakat, then your Zakat has been paid. The State is not authorized to collect taxes and on top also collect Zakat. I pay Zakat on top of my taxes because I want to help the needy, and I have no account of what the State has done with my paid taxes!!

What do others do?

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Taxes And Zakat

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 24, 2020 at 7:02 pm

That’s very generous of you to pay your zakat after you have already paid your taxes to the state. I am sure that you will find your reward in this world and the hereafter many times over.

For a true believer, evading on taxes/zakat because there’s no accountability by the state is not an option. We have to explain to others in our circles of influence – according to our own knowledge – the injustice committed by the state in this matter, and motivate them to take meaningful measures hold the state accountable. However, we must do this while we still abide by the law of the land.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register