Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Best Among Muslims

• Best Among Muslims

Posted by Abdullah Idrees on September 25, 2020 at 1:12 pm

Narrated `Uthman:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “The best among you (Muslims) are those who learn the Qur’an and teach it.”

The understanding of the above Hadith I have as per my limited knowledge from listening to the scholars is that teaching or learning of the Quran makes us the best among the Muslims.

This then entails that the more a person is involved in teaching or learning Quran the higher their rank.

My question is that should we limit our activities of earning the worldly benefits, striving towards excellence in fields such as medicine, technology and research and focus more on learning Quran? Because ultimately everyone of us would want to be among the best of Muslims in this world and the Hereafter.

I would like to clear the question by adding an analogy.

Take the example of two people. Person A spends most of his time learning and teaching Quran and spends as little as possible to earn just enough fulfill his monetary needs. Rest of his time goes in worshipping, learning and teaching Quran. Person B fulfills all his Faraid(obligatory) worships and then spends the rest of his time in pursuing excellence in his field of worldly affair.

Which person of the above would have a higher rank in the sight of Allah S.W.T ( سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى‎ (subḥānahu wataʿālā)).

Umer replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Best Among Muslims

Umer updated 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator September 25, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Ahadith are never to be taken in absolute sense, they always relate to applied situations where there is need to emphasize one particular act in one particular situation and another deed in another situation, so on and so forth.

For instance, there is another Hadith describing something completely different which makes a person best among all Muslims:

The best amongst you are those who have the best manners and character.” (https://sunnah.com/bukhari/61/68)

Secondly, they are narrations from narrators who are expressing them according to their own will and their own understanding/interpretation. There is no blame on the Prophet (sws) for how a particular narration has been understood and disseminated by a particular person according to his own level of understanding.

Lastly, the matters of success, redemption and what makes a person best Muslim among all have all been explicitly mentioned in the Quran. There is no need to decode who is better in comparison by referring to sources other than Quran whose context we do not know. Therefore, this Hadith is to be seen within the whole framework of Quran and Sunnah as well i.e. A person who learns and teaches Quran can only be the best when he has best ikhlaaq, follows the guidelines of Quran in their letter and spirit (even has a greater responsibility to do that) and fulfils all the basic requirements of being a Muslim (imaan).

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab on how to understand such Ahadith/Narrations, please refer to the video below from 42:32 to 45:42

https://youtu.be/0SdQtg5eVvA?t=2552

• Umer

Moderator September 25, 2020 at 4:10 pm

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab on whether a common Muslim is also required to do Dawah (preaching), and if he doesn’t do that, will he be any less in level than the ones doing it? Even if he fulfils all the requirements of religion. Please refer to the video below from 39:43 to 43:44

https://youtu.be/a7nEMTUNPJc?t=2383

The discussion "Best Among Muslims" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now