A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Alcohol Prohibited

Tagged: , ,

• Alcohol Prohibited

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on September 28, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Al-An’am – 6:145

Arabic

قُل لَّآ أَجِدُ فِى مَآ أُوحِىَ إِلَىَّ مُحَرَّمًا عَلَىٰ طَاعِمٍ يَطۡعَمُهُۥٓ إِلَّآ أَن يَكُونَ مَيۡتَةً أَوۡ دَمًا مَّسۡفُوحًا أَوۡ لَحۡمَ خِنزِيرٍ فَإِنَّهُۥ رِجۡسٌ أَوۡ فِسۡقًا أُهِلَّ لِغَيۡرِ ٱللَّهِ بِهِۦۚ فَمَنِ ٱضۡطُرَّ غَيۡرَ بَاغٍ وَلَا عَادٍ فَإِنَّ رَبَّكَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ

This verse is clear- only these things are haraam for eating – and it doesn’t mention alcohol?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Alcohol Prohibited

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 28, 2020 at 6:23 pm

Quran’s directives are not all in one place.

2:219

They ask you about drinking and gambling [because in their society these are also a means of helping the poor]. Tell them: “There is great sin in both, [and no doubt] they also have some benefits for people; but their sin is far greater than their benefits.”

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 29, 2020 at 2:40 am

Sorry how does it help poor? And why was then the verse is said so specific(that Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم doesn’t find anything else in the revelation he has received)

• Umer

Moderator September 29, 2020 at 7:51 am

2:173, 6:145 is dietary prohibition of those mutashabihaat that had a great potential to be conflated with halal.

While 2:219 and 5:90 are emphatic reminders of things which even our fitrat/nature considers as Khabaees.

Please see this for details:

Discussion 1641

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 29, 2020 at 1:30 pm

How is blood from the mutashabihaat?

• Umer

Moderator September 30, 2020 at 11:32 am

Sorry! what I wanted to write was mushtabihaat and instead I ended up writing mutashabihaat.

The prohibition is not of blood served to you in a glass to drink, this prohibition is to remain diligent that دما مسفوحا’ (blood poured forth/flowing blood) needs to be drained out at all costs and no carelessness should be observed in this regard.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 1, 2020 at 11:33 am

Then why is the wording so extreme and specific that nothing other than this is haraam

• Umer

Moderator October 1, 2020 at 2:23 pm

To condemn the self-made dietary ‘hillat’ and ‘hurmat’ practiced by Mushriks in the name of polytheistic acts. The context of the verses make it very clear.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 1, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Sure that makes sense. But why should we ignore the clear words ‘I find nothing other than this prohibited in what has been revealed to mere in eating for the eater’?

Either it would be a contradiction or it would be some special stylistic

• Umer

Moderator October 1, 2020 at 2:31 pm

No one is ignoring the words, the meaning is very clear that except for tayyibaat and Khabaees which you know very well, only these are the additional dietary things specifically prohibited by Allah (one can understand why as explained above).

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 1, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Oh- the what is revealed to me. I understand now. The revelation itself only prohibits these things because as you said above they are mushtabibaat. But we already know alcohol is haraam. I have another post similar to this about the wording as well

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register