Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Understanding Quran (Stories Of Previous Prophets)

• Understanding Quran (Stories Of Previous Prophets)

Posted by BILAL HAIDER on September 30, 2020 at 10:23 am

السلام علیکم !قرآن پاک میں پچھلے پیغمبر وں کے واقعات بیان ہوئے ہیں اور غامدی صاحب کے بقول یہ واقعات قرآن پاک دلیل کے طور پر بیان کرتا ہے میرا یہ سوال ہے کہ پچھلے واقعات دلیل کیسے بن سکتے ہیں

Sheharbano Ali replied 3 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Understanding Quran (Stories Of Previous Prophets)

• Umer

Moderator September 30, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Quran serves two purposes:

1) It serves as a permanent source of Hidayah for the whole of mankind.

2) It serves as a proof of Allah’s itmam-e-hujjat on Prophet Muhammad’s (sws) addressees (both Quraysh and people of the book).

If you think more deeply, both these points are strongly inter-linked with each other, as proof of second-point further solidifies the first-point. Therefore, in order to fulfil the objectives of second point, before Allah’s punishment on that nation, first completion of proof had had to be done. And a major part of that process was the mentioning of previous nations and punishments inflicted on them that were well known to the addressees as a reminder and tazkeer. These events regarding the perished nations, at the time of the revelation of the Quran were fully known to people, that is why the opponents of the Prophet (sws) did not object to these. They never said that the Quran was wrong in its reports. The Quran clearly asserts that these were commonly known events.

Not only that, same is the case with mentioning of Prophets; only those prophets were mentioned which were known to the addressees of the Prophet (sws) because the actual objective was anzaar, and anzaar couldn’t have been done without mentioning of events and prophets known to the addressees. This fact can be seen in the Quran itself where it skipped details of other prophets:

نَّا أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ كَمَا أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَى نُوْحٍ وَالنَّبِيِّينَ مِن بَعْدِهِ وَأَوْحَيْنَا إِلَى إِبْرَاهِيْمَ وَإِسْمَاعِيْلَ وَإْسْحَقَ وَيَعْقُوْبَ وَالأَسْبَاطِ وَعِيْسَى وَأَيُّوْبَ وَيُوْنُسَ وَهَارُوْنَ وَسُلَيْمَانَ وَآتَيْنَا دَاوُودَ زَبُوْرًا وَرُسُلاً قَدْ قَصَصْنَاهُمْ عَلَيْكَ مِن قَبْلُ وَرُسُلاً لَّمْ نَقْصُصْهُمْ عَلَيْكَ وَكَلَّمَ اللّهُ مُوْسَى تَكْلِيْمًا رُّسُلاً مُّبَشِّرِيْنَ وَمُنْذِرِيْنَ لِئَلاَّ يَكُوْنَ لِلنَّاسِ عَلَى اللّهِ حُجَّةٌ بَعْدَ الرُّسُلِ وَكَانَ اللّهُ عَزِيْزًا حَكِيْمًا (4: 163-165

[O Prophet!] We sent our revelations to you the way We sent [them] to Noah and to the prophets who came after him; And We revealed [them] to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, the progeny of Jacob, Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, Solomon and We gave the Psalms to David. We have sent revelations to messengers whom we have mentioned to you earlier and to some messengers whom We have not mentioned to you and with Moses God had spoken, the way one speaks: these messengers who were sent as bearers of glad tidings and of admonishment so that after them people are left with no excuse which they can present before God, and God is Mighty and Wise.(4:163-165)

I hope this will clear some of the confusion.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 1, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Does it serve as an evidence for us today too?

• Sheharbano Ali

Member October 1, 2020 at 1:28 pm

As a response to both your question as well as umer bhai’s original answer, could we say that it is more important firstly to understand the nature and genre of Quran i.e it is Muhammad (saw)’s ‘sarguzasht e Inzaar.’

And equally important, the context and setting of each ayah. That where a bit from a particular Prophet’s story is mentioned at a specific place, we need to stress more on what is the underlying message that God is trying to convey. More than the event itself. And im saying ‘more than’ the event itself, not only the message. So for e.g if at places where a part from Nuh as’s story is mentioned, I cannot go back and verify much from the historical sources as yet. However, the integrity of the message that portion is trying to convey could lead me to affirming the historical authenticity of the event, even though right now there is no historical proof.

Thoughts? @AhmadShoaib

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 1, 2020 at 1:30 pm

I don’t think the integrity of the message leads to historical proof. But Ghamidi sahab’s zavia series I think explains how if the Quran is a zaria e ilm it becomes a foundation for facts like this

• Sheharbano Ali

Member October 1, 2020 at 1:35 pm

You’re right. He says if once you establish that Quran is a zaria e ilm, then facts like these e.g Nuh (as) event which cannot be verified as yet, still the reader wouldnt hesitate in accepting it as a historic event.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member October 1, 2020 at 9:34 am

Both of these videos might also be beneficial in reponse to the question asked, InshaAllah. Sajid sb has explained in detail the answer to your query.

https://youtu.be/JEpQa4UyVFE

• BILAL HAIDER

Member October 1, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Okay i understood. Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register