Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Prohibition Of Alcohol Wording

Tagged: , ,

• Prohibition Of Alcohol Wording

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 1, 2020 at 11:10 am

Some people say that khamr only refers to a specific type of wine somit all intoxicants them self are haraam.

What is the argument against this?

Some people say that the Quran doesn’t use the word haraam for alcohol so we can’t say it is.

$ohail T@hir replied 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Prohibition Of Alcohol Wording

$ohail T@hir updated 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 5, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Any thoughts?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 5, 2020 at 1:58 pm

Khamar is the word used which means intoxicant. So any intoxicant is Haram.

The word used to prohibit is Najas. Which means filth. This is a stronger expression to tell something is haram.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 28, 2021 at 7:41 pm

People argue that when the Quran calls something haraam, it is very clear and uses the phrasing ‘harrama rabbi’ for example. But here, the Quran does not say this explicitly, isn’t this proof in itself that alcohol is not haraam but extremely disliked?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 30, 2021 at 10:25 pm

To use the word Haram is the one way to tell somehing Haram. you cannot list all haram with the word Harrama or Hurrima etc,. Intoxicant is placed in the verse 90 with the things which are Haram and rated with such things to tell this is Haram too, and in the verse 91 intoxicant and game of chance are taken out to tell more about them that they lead to enmity, hatred, turning away from the remembrance of Allah and from Prayer. This is enough to make it haram.

Believers! Intoxicants, games of chance, idolatrous sacrifices at altars, and divining arrows are all abominations, the handiwork of Satan. So turn wholly away from it that you may attain to true success. (90)

By intoxicants and games of chance Satan only desires to create enmity and hatred between you, and to turn you away from the remembrance of Allah and from Prayer. Will you, then, desist? (91)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 31, 2021 at 8:43 am

They can be the worst things in the entire world- but when God says something is haraam he makes it clear with harrama. So what was the reason here. All things that are haraam can be listed with this verb- I don’t see why not

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 2, 2021 at 8:53 pm

There is a mistake in my first sentence of the reply. It is

The word Haram is not the only way to tell something is Haram in Quran.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 3, 2021 at 5:05 am

Are there other examples?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 3, 2021 at 8:35 am

There are a lot many things which are forbidden. God mentioned them without telling they are Haram, but shows His displeasure in different ways to tell it is forbidden. For example, God never declared stealing, adultery, gambling, forbidding a widow from marrying again with her choice, fleeing away from the battle field etc.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 3, 2021 at 8:37 am

So if the Quran does not call them haraam why do we? It’s circular to say that it’s haraam but the Quran doesn’t say it but it’s still haraam. What other source of the religion do we have?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 3, 2021 at 8:50 am

Since we understand styles of Quran, so we do not doubt to determine a thing is haram when it is disapproved with strong adjectives, punishment, and principles on which a thing goes haram.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 3, 2021 at 8:51 am

But it seems that when something is made terminologically haraam, the specific terminology is used. So if it’s being made ‘haraam’- why isn’t the specific term being used.

It’s like if I say ‘I hate apples’ and I say ‘I’m allergic to apples’

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 15, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Any ideas? Why wasn’t the specific terminology used to make alcohol haraam ?

The discussion "Prohibition Of Alcohol Wording" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now