Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 12:42

• Quran 12:42

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 4, 2020 at 6:50 pm

Yusuf – 12:42

Arabic

وَقَالَ لِلَّذِى ظَنَّ أَنَّهُۥ نَاجٍ مِّنۡهُمَا ٱذۡكُرۡنِى عِندَ رَبِّكَ فَأَنسَىٰهُ ٱلشَّيۡطَٰنُ ذِكۡرَ رَبِّهِۦ فَلَبِثَ فِى ٱلسِّجۡنِ بِضۡعَ سِنِينَ

From what I’ve heard of the concept of Satan from Ghamidi sahab it seems that Satan only works when humans allow him to. So does it mean that this prisoner had some ill intent?

Umer replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Quran 12:42

Umer updated 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 6, 2020 at 4:42 pm

I think its an expression of associating evil with Satan in contrast to associating every good with Allah. It doesn’t necessarily imply that Satan actually acted upon him to made him forgive that. I think its a linguistic contrast.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member October 6, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Umer bhai I don’t think this explanation could work here since it is a real life event taking place so i don’t think we can reduce it to just an expression. However, we could consider the religious status of the said prisoner. If the Quran doesn’t say anything about it, then it all could make sense?

• Umer

Moderator October 6, 2020 at 5:23 pm

I am not giving any final verdict here, just how I understood it when I read it.

Please do enlighten me how you perceive this verse.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member October 6, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Since Yusaf (as) in the previous verses is giving Dawah to both the prisoners and from his words one could safely assume that they both were polytheists. So accepting Satan’s work on them shouldn’t be a problem?

Satan made him forget the dream because of his evil intention of making Yusaf (as) stay longer in the prison and get angry with Allah ultimately for making him stay unnecessarily. And Allah let it happen because he is the All Knowledgeable and All Wise. It was better for Yusaf (as) to remain in the prison because the perfect timing of him coming out was when the dream of the King had to be interpreted. It was also to test his patience. And both these things were achieved at once.

Secondly, since both the Jinn and human beings play a role in each other’s existence, so one more thing that might have been achieved here was making that specific Shaytaan realise his limitations and hudud e ilm/teach him a lesson. That Allah let him carry out his evil motive and so he qualifies for punishment nonetheless. But since Allah is the All Wise and All Knowledgeable at the same time, he let it happen because it was according to the plan. That specific Shaytaan would have realised his defeat/his true place and purpose in this world after he saw the plan being implemented. That’s how I understood it. Please do correct me if my analysis was wrong anywhere.

@UmerQureshi

• Umer

Moderator October 7, 2020 at 6:32 pm

Assalamulaikum @sheharbano Sister!

This is indeed a very well-thought and well-considered analysis, Masha’Allah!

However, we need to distinguish between application of external influences (like satan, jinns etc.) in law of guidance and error from general manipulation and influences. Because the latter affects everyone but at the end, it is the person who ultimately takes the step or initiates an action. The application of Law of Guidance and Error happens at a much later stage.

The example of this can be seen in verse 12:100 as well where Prophet Yusuf (sws) mentions to his father that Allah brought them from a village to this place despite Satan created a big discord between him and his brothers. Two things need to be considered here:

(i) It was in reality His brothers who conspired against Yusuf (AS) out of their envy, Satan could’ve played his role in the form of general manipulation, but it was the brothers who actually committed this evil.

(ii) In this very verse one can see the comparison of good attributed to Allah and evil attributed to Satan, which is the reason I think it serves as a linguistic comparison of good and evil as well.

The reality of exact mechanics can’t be known by us with certainty but I find your point equally applicable as well.

ALLAH knows the best.

• Umer

Moderator October 12, 2020 at 8:09 am

In recent Q&A Session with Ghamidi Sahab on Questions selected from ASK GHAMIDI Platform:

For answer to your question, please refer to the video below from 1:17:53 to 1:18:44

https://youtu.be/BGqbemUGFYw?t=4673

The discussion "Quran 12:42" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now