Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Purpose Of Life – Worship?

Tagged: , ,

• Purpose Of Life – Worship?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 8, 2020 at 12:46 pm

In surah dhariyaat Allah says he did not create jinn or man except to worship him. Does that ensue an active worship or passive one? EG we live life- and in the way we do it we worship God by being EG truthful when conducting a business. Or does it require an active worship- so when we are studying for exams or something it is not the purpose of our life (it is just mere play)

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Purpose Of Life – Worship?

• Umer

Moderator October 8, 2020 at 1:41 pm

This requires some in-depth understanding of the word ‘ibadah’, which following two videos will greatly help in grasping it.

Please refer to the video below from 23:00 onwards

https://youtu.be/S4S7xciJ2pQ?t=1380

• Umer

Moderator October 8, 2020 at 1:41 pm
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 8, 2020 at 3:09 pm

So, @UmerQureshi if I understood correctly- the asal of ibaadat is that internal Bowing to the lord which comes in many zahiri forms such as sajda ruku etc. And ita’at is one of these zahiri forms that would come into zahoor when we are going about our lives?

• Umer

Moderator October 8, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Correct!

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 9, 2020 at 6:44 pm

In the video Ghamidi sahab said that there is basically an ijma of the scholars of linguistics that ibaadah means khudu and tadhalul. Would a good English translation be humbling yourself before and obedience to?

So for example whenever I think of God I humble myself- the way I would do this would be by perhaps glorifying him or Boeing to him.

And obedience would be that when he tells bye to do something or not to do it I obey

• Umer

Moderator October 9, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Yes, correct.

Internal feeling of humbleness

Turning into external expression of humbleness

Eventually turning into obedience in the spheres required of me.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 9, 2020 at 7:11 pm

But is the asal the internal Bowing and humbling or the obedience? Because the scholars of linguistics say that it’s both. But it seems that the internal Bowing would lead to the obedience

• Umer

Moderator October 9, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Internal boing would eventually lead to obedience as a necessary extension. But internal bowing is absolute while obedience is only when required from us in a particular sphere.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 9, 2020 at 7:16 pm

So if we were to write a dictionary definition for Ibadah would it differ from khuzu wa tazalul? It seems it would only be khuzu- with tazalul as an extension perhaps. I only ask because the scholars Ghamidi sahab referred to used both of the words as equal. Did they mean something else?

• Umer

Moderator October 9, 2020 at 7:21 pm

Khuzu and Tazallul don’t have too much of a difference in them, they both complement each others meanings but do not add a new meaning in it.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 9, 2020 at 7:23 pm

I think it might be my Urdu that’s a factor here.

The Arabic dictionary says khuzu is basically showing patience when something unwelcome comes your way- and being submissive.

And tazalul means to humble yourself before someone- or to grovel in their presence.

So I guess khuzu means that when an order comes you are obedient. Whereas tazalul means that you always have that inner state of humility.

If we take the example of a king that Ghamidi sahab gave. Whenever we see him we fall into sajda for him- this is tazalul. Whenever he gives us an order we are obedient- this is khuzu

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 9, 2020 at 7:51 pm

But both of these are still zahiri. What is the evidence that Ibaadah is actually referring to an internal feeling at all?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 9, 2020 at 7:51 pm

It is definitely the internal bowing that leads to this zahiri khuzu and tazalul. But does the word ibaadah refer to the internal or external?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 10, 2020 at 12:54 am

As Ghamidi sahab explained in the video and Umer sahab explained above, ibadah is a comprehensive term referring to external actions as a result of internal humility towards God.

The discussion "Purpose Of Life – Worship?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now