Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Is Plucking Eyebrows Haram In Islam?

Tagged: ,

• Is Plucking Eyebrows Haram In Islam?

Umer updated 2 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 10, 2020 at 12:07 pm
    • Saba Madani

Member October 10, 2020 at 12:11 pm

آرائش و زیبائش آئی برو پر اور چھپائیں اس کے علاوہ باقی بدن؟

• Saba Madani

Member October 10, 2020 at 12:19 pm

I got my answer though. Thanks

This means that even though there’s a hadeeth which is mustanad by the chain of narrators regarding this eyebrows issue, the matan is out of context. That’s why we can’t make this Prohibition general. Correct? Br.Omar?

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator October 10, 2020 at 12:23 pm

pls. see this Discussion 3219

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 10, 2020 at 12:40 pm
  • Haseeb Faisal

Member December 13, 2020 at 2:06 pm

Salam,

I would like to share my answer on this topic, as I’ve done some research over the last year.

In his article, Dr. Shehzad Saleem mentions that scholars judge plucking the eyebrows to be haram from the following hadith:

‘Abdullāh ibn Mas’ūd has reported: “Allah curses those ladies who practice tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those ladies who remove the hair from their eyebrows and faces (i.e. tanammus) and those who make artificial spaces between their teeth in order to look more beautiful whereby they change Allah’s creation.” . . .

Dr. Shehzad Saleem states that the practice referred to as tanammus has been erroneously translated as “removing the hair from the eyebrows and faces”. He argues that this term actually refers to “removing the hair which extends on to the forehead in a particular style”.
    Source: http://www.al-mawrid.org/index.php/articles/view/11.-prohibition-of-plucking-facial-hair

Dr. Khalid Zaheer makes the same point in an article and shares a video where this topic is discussed.

Source: http://www.khalidzaheer.com/plucking-eyebrows/

Finally, Moiz Amjad has also discussed this topic, and I believe his article is the most comprehensive in covering the objections raised to plucking the eyebrows. He also makes the point of tanammus not meaning “removing the hair from the eyebrows or faces”.

Source: https://www.understanding-islam.com/hadith-condemning-women-who-style-their-eyebrows-by-shaving-or-trimming-their-edges/

It is worth noting that Moiz Amjad refers to the source from which Javed Ghamidi, Dr. Shehzad Saleem and the other scholars mentioned in this thread derived the meaning of tanammus to be “removing the hair which extends on to the forehead in a particular style”. He mentions that in Lisaan Al-Arab – a famous classical Arabic dictionary by Ibn Manzur – the phrase ‘Tanammasat al Mar’ah’ is defined as “a woman [that] removes hair from her forehead by way of threading”.

In the Lisaan Al-Arab dictionary, the exact words for Tanammasat al Mar’ah’ are written:

وتَنَمَّصت المرأَة: أَخذت شعر جَبِينِها بخيط لتنتفه

This definition can be found in the following source:
    http://arabiclexicon.hawramani.com/%d9%86%d9%85%d8%b5/?book=3

Other lexicographers have translated the term in the same way, but I can’t find where I recorded their definitions. If you are interested, I can keep looking and send them over to you in this chat once I find them.

• Wajeeha Khanam

Member December 11, 2021 at 10:15 pm

میں نے تمام بحث کو غور سے پڑھا ہے اور اس کے مطابق یہ پتا چلتا ہے کہ صورت بگاڑنے کی کوئی چیز نہ ہو۔لیکن حدیث کے آخر میں ہے کہ وہ عورتیں جو دانتوں کے درمیان خلا پیدا کرواتی ہیں تاکہ زیادہ خوبصورت نظر آسکیں ۔یہاں پر تو خوبصورتی کی بھی ممانعت ہے۔براہ کرم اس کی بھی وضاحت فرما دیں۔

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 11, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Asalamualaikum Ms. Wajeeha,

Mein zaroor apkai sawal ka jawab detha, lekin merai pas knowledge nahi hai jis kai sath main purai confidence kai sath is cheez ko explain kar sakhta hoon. Lekin mein kuch logon koh tag karla tha hoon joh InshAllah apnai convenience pai apki madath kar sakhain. Slight Smile

@UmerQureshi @Irfan76 @faisalharoon

• Wajeeha Khanam

Member December 11, 2021 at 11:53 pm

بہت شکریہ۔اگر آپ کو جواب ملے تو مجھے ضرور آگاہ کیجئے گا عین نوازش ہوگی۔

• Umer

Moderator December 19, 2021 at 4:21 pm

Hadees main us khubsoorti ki mumaniat ki gae gai jis sai insan ki fitri sakht tabdeel hoojaye, is sai qatan banao singhar ya khubsoorat dikhnay kai liya kuch karnay ki mumaniat sabit nhi hoti.

Baraye meharbani Dr. Shehzad Saleem ka is par article aik dafa doobara parahin, us sai kuch asooli behsain samjh kar is hadees ko samjhna zayada asaan hoga:

Discussion 57664 • Reply 57666

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 13, 2020 at 2:20 pm

UPDATE:

Ibn Sida (d. 1066 CE) defines Tanmmasat al Mar’ah’ in the following way: وتَــنَمَّصَــتِ المرأةُ أخذتْ شَعَرَ جَبِينِها بِخَيْطٍ وفي الحديث

I believe the translation is almost the same as Ibn Manzur, but someone that speaks Arabic can probably comment on this matter. By sharing these definitions, I mean to show that there is historical evidence that the terms Tanammus has perhaps been erroneously translated, as pointed out by the scholars mentioned in this thread. Of course, the decision is for you to make.

Source: http://arabiclexicon.hawramani.com/search/%D9%86%D9%8E%D9%85%D9%91%D9%8E%D8%B5?cat=10

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register