Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Determining Exact Direction Of Qibla

Tagged: ,

• Determining Exact Direction Of Qibla

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 12, 2020 at 11:27 am

In the modern day we can very easily use the compasses to on our phones to find the exact direction of the kaabah. Is it incumbent upon us to use this technology every time we pray?

If not by what principle is it so? Is it so that there is not unnecessary difficulty?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Determining Exact Direction Of Qibla

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 12, 2020 at 12:08 pm

One is always supposed to make the best decision they can given what information/resources they have. Determining qibla is no different. If you have a phone with a compass and you’re unsure of the qibla direction, you will naturally use it before you make salat. If you don’t have a compass and no other reasonable way to find the qibla, you’d pray in any direction knowing that God exists everywhere.

This kind of issues are not addressed by religion. Since God has created humans with faculties of reason and rationality, He has left this kind of issues up to them to make the best use of their faculties and decide for themselves.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 12, 2020 at 12:09 pm

I mean when we’re at home we have a general idea of the qibla but it may not be exact to the degree. Is that a problem?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 12, 2020 at 12:11 pm

If you make it so then yes. Otherwise the concluding paragraph of my response above should suffice.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 12, 2020 at 12:13 pm

What do you think then? Should we make it a big deal?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 13, 2020 at 9:25 am

Do we have no religious guidance? I guess do the words in the ayah about qibla necessitate an exact calculation?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register