Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Yoga And Meditation

• Yoga And Meditation

Posted by Muhammad Qasim Sardar on October 14, 2020 at 3:43 pm

If we go to some mystic , they always say that by doing so you will get peace , control over mind and pleasure………What does Islam says about it?

Plz don’t take it as a separate approach of islam or in conflict with Islam…just asking about these practices

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Yoga And Meditation

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 14, 2020 at 4:28 pm

There’s nothing wrong with yoga or mental exercises that help with calming the mind, gaining better awareness, etc. Just understand that these are mind/body exercises that have nothing to do with religion. It might be best to learn these exercises from those who understand and appreciate this difference as well.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor October 14, 2020 at 7:13 pm

@Qasim

“https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-meditation-works_b_4702629

This link will explain the biophysics of meditation. I will explain it slightly differently. Bear with me, please.

We have things that can be eaten. Some are outright poisonous, some are bad for the body causing slow but deadly diseases, then there is food that is healthy and fights diseases. Food is a necessity, not an invention and the right food is best.

We have things that we can drink. Some liquids are poisonous, some are harmful in the long run and some fluids are healthy for good health and protection from diseases. So liquid is a necessity, not an invention and the right fluid is the best.

We have a mind and it needs nourishment too. Our peace of mind is its nourishment. Harmful thoughts are poisonous for the mind, some stray thoughts are bad in the long run and some thoughts are good for the mind. Since the mind is complicated, it needs more elaboration.

Harmful thoughts steal away peace and cause personality diseases/disorders. Stray thoughts cause anxieties and create social issues, we behave temperamentally and have anger issues. Good thoughts provide calmness, tranquillity, treats anxieties and fears and controls personality issues etc. Peace is a necessity not an invention and the right thoughts are the best.

Good food, good liquids, good thoughts are the key to a healthy disease free life.

Bring religion into this and it becomes easier to meditate. Religion provides a focus for the mind. Decreases stray and harmful thoughts.

“The habits of happiness” is the research on meditation.

I hope I have shed some light.

Peace and salutations.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor October 14, 2020 at 7:15 pm
  • Muhammad Qasim Sardar

Member November 23, 2020 at 11:20 am

Sir I heard from an Indian GURU saying Yoga means Union ….Union with the Creation/Creator……

They use the term Cosmic Harmony/Tuning with Nature….

Is it true that doing certain Inner exercises we get in touch with Creator…Bcz source of creation is within us …….

Kindly comment on this .

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 23, 2020 at 2:55 pm

If such exercises are undertaken, the goal should be to increase our own ability to focus and be able to know our selves better. It’s true that when we know ourselves better we can comprehend and appreciate God more intimately, however, these exercises don’t allow us to “get in touch” with the Creator. If we do get in touch with anything other than our own selves, it might only be our own minds playing tricks on us, or worse yet some shaitan.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register