Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Sahaba After Accepting Islam

• Sahaba After Accepting Islam

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 19, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Is there any record of sahabah who had for example murdered before accepting Islam being given the death penalty? Would we give the capital punishment to someone today who committed murder before accepting Islam because all sins get forgiven after accepting Islam?

Umer replied 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Sahaba After Accepting Islam

Umer updated 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 19, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Also there is a narration that I forget the reference to that a sahabah killed a combatant who said la ilaha ila Allah. Why wasn’t he given punishment for this?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member October 19, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Where is it written that all sins are forgiven once a person accepts Islam?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 19, 2020 at 3:50 pm

I have just heard it I may be wrong

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 19, 2020 at 3:52 pm

‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas was a mushrik (polytheist, idol-worshipper), a sinner and an enemy of Allaah. He said: “When Allaah put the love of Islam into my heart, I came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to pledge my allegiance to him. He stretched out his hand towards me, but I said, ‘I will not pledge allegiance to you, O Messenger of Allaah, until you forgive me my previous sins.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me, ‘O ‘Amr, do you not know that Islam wipes out whatever sins came before it.’” (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad, 17159).

• Rafia Khawaja

Member October 19, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Please check your information.

As far as I know accepting Islam is no criteria for being forgiven for one’s sins.

It is the same way many Muslims claim that all Muslims will go to heaven and the non Muslims will go to hell, which is totally wrong!

I

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 19, 2020 at 3:56 pm

I sent the Hadith above

• Rafia Khawaja

Member October 19, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Please find out if this Hadith is correct

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 19, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Maybe some scholar can research it but here it is also in sahih Muslim

https://sunnah.com/muslim/1/228

And please also see the initial post

• Rafia Khawaja

Member October 19, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Yes we have to ask some scholar of hadees to verify the authenticity of this.

• Saad Anwar

Member October 19, 2020 at 5:55 pm

Has there ever been any objections about this belief that accepting Islam forgives all previous sins?

• Umer

Moderator October 19, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Making assumption on exhaustiveness of all the incidents based on incidents reported in not a very academic approach. While studying past, we also ignore the ground realities of that particular time (both political and social) and try to judge that past based on our currently developed models of societies. One cannot comment on the exact nature of such exonerations but one can comment on such situations based on experience of how things work in an intricate society where some wrong values have become a distinct part of tribal pride and customs. Whenever some reformation happens, there are always some grey areas in the implementation of that particular social or ideological reform. And in order to ensure smooth transition, even in today’s time, some transitional provisions are introduced and at times, some exceptional cases have to be grandfathered in, and the new law is applied to future cases. There are many practical variations that can happen when applying any such change, which takes into account all the complex socio-political web surrounding the society and the best possible solutions are being implemented considering both their practical feasibility as well as some level of ease for the immediate subjects. Something similar has been done in Pakistan as well, when tribal rebel groups who were in an armed rebellion against the state in Balochistan were given a pardon for all their previous acts which includes murders as well, on the condition that they give-up their armed rebellion and become a responsible citizen of the state and will never indulge in any such activity in future. This is just an example from today’s time, one can imagine the level of complexities surrounding the tribal society of 1,400 years ago, where a big reform was about to happen.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register