Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Age To Pay Zakah?

• Age To Pay Zakah?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on July 5, 2020 at 10:52 pm

If a 15 year old baligh boy who is under full financial supervision of his parents obtains the nisaab value from a business one time deal or even a job. (He is still living in his parent’s house and I think this image is quite clear as it relates to the typical modern situation). Must he pay zakah- if not, when does it become fard?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Age To Pay Zakah?

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 6, 2020 at 1:12 am

In my understanding, if a person is old enough to earn from a business or a job then zakat would apply on him. Whether he lives with parents or not is immaterial.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 6, 2020 at 1:14 am

Do you mean old enough to earn or is earning from it? And what if he had the money for a few days (nisaab value) then spent it?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 6, 2020 at 1:18 am

If a person earned money, zakat is due on it regardless of age. Also zakat is due the moment money hits his/her bank account. If the person spends the money, that’s no excuse for not paying the zakat.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 6, 2020 at 3:06 am

If a person chooses a day to pay zakah the one time he got money in one year. Then for many years after he didn’t have to pay zakah- must he pay on the same day?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 6, 2020 at 1:20 am

So if he spends the money eg 5 days after he got it and never got the same amount would zakat only be fard one year. Also there is the factor that the money is only by name his- technically it is his parents. He has limited control over spending it if his parents allow it.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 6, 2020 at 1:24 am

To be clear, I’m talking about income zakat. In Ghamidi sahab’s view, there are 2 kinds of zakat: income and savings. Income zakat is calculated on gross income according to the following formula:

20% if neither capital nor labor was used (e.g. gifts)

10% if either capital or labor was used (e.g. salaries)

5% if both capital and labor was used (e.g. business income).

Savings zakat is flat 2.5% of savings after nisab (exemption). All items of personal use are exempt from savings zakat.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 6, 2020 at 1:28 am

If the money belongs to parents, parents should pay the zakat.

In Ghamidi sahab’s view the yearly zakat is only on savings as I described above. The income zakat is due at the moment the person receives the money.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 6, 2020 at 1:29 am

Ok Jazakallah Khayr

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register