Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Ihsan – Quran 16:90

• Ihsan – Quran 16:90

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 25, 2020 at 8:48 am

The second thing mentioned in the verse is goodness (ihsan). It is over and above justice and is the pinnacle of ethics and morality. It means that not only should a right be fulfilled, but that it be fulfilled in a manner that a person is generous and considerate in this regard. A person should give more than what he owes and should be happy to take what is less than his due. This attitude develops in a society the values of sympathy, compassion, sacrifice, sincerity, gratitude and magnanimity. As a result of these values life becomes sweet and blessed.

Ghamidi sahab wrote this in his tafsir of 16:90.

Are there any more resources to read about ihsan? Because it seems to just mean goodness and kindness. Because if it means to give more than you owe and it’s a command shouldn’t we always for example pay extra at shops. Or does it simply mean kindness?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Ihsan – Quran 16:90

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 25, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Please see this from 24:12 to 31:32 for an understanding of ihsan:

https://youtu.be/2LRzFOpmP_I?t=1452

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 26, 2020 at 8:57 am

What’s the difference between ikhlass and ihsan then?

And what does ihsan then have to do with giving extra to a person you have lent money from?

Wouldn’t the ihsan simply be to make sure that you have given the full money and you didn’t try to cheat or find a way out of paying?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 26, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Ikhlas refers to sincerity in doing something, while ihsan refers to trying to do something as best as possible.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 26, 2020 at 2:59 pm

And paying extra for debts is not as best as possible is it? It is extra from the best way you could pay back

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 20, 2020 at 1:22 pm

I would like some clarification- I have had the concept that ‘ihsan’ means ‘perfection’. Is this correct? Or does it simply mean ‘virtue’ and ‘goodness’

• Umer

Moderator December 20, 2020 at 4:14 pm

See if this clarifies it further, please refer to the video below from 20:23 to 26:55

https://youtu.be/o0hqdDwOrrI?t=1223

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 20, 2020 at 6:07 pm

So it’s to do something well, in a good way- I’m a great way- not necessarily in its perfect way like the perfect way of wudu would include the extra sunnah

• Sheharbano Ali

Member December 21, 2020 at 4:52 am

I also have a related question. Are there different levels of Ihsan? And when these three are mentioned as levels if faith – Islam, Iman and Ihsan. Ghamidi sb says that these three aren’t levels and that the only true status to be achieved in anything you do is Ihsan.

Now, does this mean that our Islam and Iman should be done with Ihsan? In this way, this doesn’t become a separate level but rather a necessity for anything you do. Need some clarification on this.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member December 21, 2020 at 4:57 am

Also, ihsan definitely means giving/doing more as per its usage in the Quran. So how do we reconcile with all of these meanings?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 21, 2020 at 8:04 am

This is where this question started from. Ghamidi sahab wrote in his Tafsir (original post) that you should give more than your debt is due.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member December 21, 2020 at 10:17 am

Other than what Ghamidi sb wrote, the Quran seems to convey that Ihsan means doing more than what is required. It refers to all the Prophets and Anbiya as Muhsineen. Then the way Allah stresses His love for the muhsineen in the Quran “wallahu yuhhibul muhsineen” is unparalleled.

Al Raghib al Isfahahi, the Arabic literary scholar (author of Mufradat ul Quran) defines Ihsan as “giving more and expecting less than what is due.”

Thats why I asked about Adl and Qist in reference to Ihsan. I think that might solve it.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 22, 2020 at 12:58 am

Giving more than is due would mean then, that I should pay extra in a ship when I go to buy something?

• Sheharbano Ali

Member December 22, 2020 at 3:06 am

But are there any limitations to ihsan as to where we can follow it and where we simply can’t? This physical world can’t operate solely on the basis of ihsan. At some instances it becomes incumbent upon us to exercise Qist and at other times Adl.

(Unless we’re defining Ihsan the wrong way). Could exercising Adl or Qist ‘where appropriate, in a way that is appropriate’ also mean Ihsan? What is the role of Qist, Adl and Ihsan in the framework of a society? I can always give more, pardon others on an individual level. Its impossible on a societal level. This is what im trying to figure out.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 22, 2020 at 7:47 am

Hmm 🤔

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register