A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Decides Between Their Council

Tagged: , ,

• Decides Between Their Council

Umer updated 2 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 27, 2020 at 5:17 pm

It ensues complete democracy among Muslims irrespective of their intellectual achievements, they will all be involved in this choosing of their leader. However, its application may differ from time to time and from society to society. In tribal settings, it would be implemented differently the same way it was implemented for Abu Bakar (rta), umar (rta) and Uthman (rta). In today’s time, its application is different but the spirit of the law has always been the same.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 27, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Sorry for my lack of historical knowledge but was it complete democracy in the past eg Abu bakr رضي الله عنه’s time?

• Umer

Moderator October 27, 2020 at 5:20 pm

I will try share a short response for youYum

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 27, 2020 at 5:21 pm

👌

• Umer

Moderator October 27, 2020 at 6:05 pm

Please refer to the video below from 5:02 to 20:47

https://youtu.be/KyoKDA2GALs?t=302

• Abid Rashid

Member December 26, 2021 at 1:52 pm

Thank you very much for the share. It is immensely informative. My question is slightly tangent to the concept, which is, have Muslims ever shown their content to be governed under democratic principles and prospered and if so what was the democratic process and does muslim temperament allows that as a whole.

• Umer

Moderator December 26, 2021 at 2:00 pm

The selection of first three caliphs was purely democratic as explained in the video above.

• Abid Rashid

Member December 26, 2021 at 2:48 pm

True. But I guess there were serious governance issues of people not accepting the decisions necessitating interventions of military nature.

• Abid Rashid

Member December 26, 2021 at 2:50 pm

My question, do we as Muslims have a temperament to be governed successfully and prospered under democratic norms?

• Umer

Moderator December 26, 2021 at 3:02 pm

Governance is always an administrative matter. The selection of a leader as per democratic norms is a separate things and governing the administration is a separate thing. With selection as a leader, there always ensues an executive authority to administer good governance in a country. The mechanism for such executive authority has changed over the years, it may have been different under tribal democracy and different under current nation-state democracy.

If Muslim countries are given political stability and continuity in their democratic process, then temperament can develop in no time, because such a mode of transfer of power is right in accordance with the nature of a person.

Please also refer to the following comments from 27:50 to 29:30

https://youtu.be/aFpdQLk3Bp0?t=1670

The discussion "Decides Between Their Council" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now