Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Forbidden Times Of Prayer

• Forbidden Times Of Prayer

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 27, 2020 at 1:49 pm

The sunrise and sunset are generally said to be forbidden times for sajdas because it makes it seem like your praying to the sun.

In this day and age that problem isn’t really there- no one worships the sun- so is it still haraam?

Umer replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • Forbidden Times Of Prayer

Umer updated 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 31 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 27, 2020 at 5:06 pm

There are still religions who do that e.g. Zoroastrianism or Mazdayasna.

Because of Islam’s extreme sensitivity to polytheism, these were the only two times forbidden for Sajda as a Sunnah and transmitted through ijma and tawatur.

https://youtu.be/_2cOylMwp84

• Ahsan

Moderator March 8, 2021 at 4:47 am

In recent Q&A Session with Ghamidi Sahab on Questions selected from ASK GHAMIDI Platform:

For answer to your question, please refer to the video below

https://youtu.be/ef7dPwS0tnc

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 8, 2021 at 5:03 am

I think there is a similar q like this in the database which I can’t seem to find right now in which Hassan sahab said that it is fine to pray in these times. Let me know if you can find it

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 8, 2021 at 5:20 am

Here it is. Would like some clarification as it seems contradictory Discussion 39937 • Reply 40452

• Ahsan

Moderator March 8, 2021 at 9:26 am

I think there is no contradiction coz both of them said you shouldnt pray at those time. They reach to same conculsion through different arguments.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 8, 2021 at 9:27 am

Ghamidi sahab seems to be saying it is fard to do so whereas Hassan sahab says it depends on how you feel

• Ahsan

Moderator March 8, 2021 at 9:34 am

You are right. But ghamidi sb opinion is more convincing for me

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 8, 2021 at 9:36 am

Not for me. The same way the usul for gold being prohibited is arrogance it seems the usul for this being prohibited is because it may seem like shirk.

• Umer

Moderator March 8, 2021 at 11:07 am

Matters of Ibadah are not subject to such illah unless explicitly stated by the Prophet Himself. The example of Gold falls in a different domain.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 8, 2021 at 11:07 am

Concessions given in wudu like masah over socks are because of an illah.

What is the evidence matters of ibaadah can’t be based on an illah? Of course there is a reason for the time to be forbidden

• Umer

Moderator March 8, 2021 at 11:12 am

Masah is based on explicit relaxation of tayammum as explicitly mentioned in Quran.

Of course we can try to understand reason behind every Ibadah and every other matter surrounding it. But the way Ibadah is to be done and the concessions to be mindful of are things not subject to our own ijtihaad.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 8, 2021 at 11:14 am

1. What is the proof that ibaadah is not based on ijtihaad?

2. An example of ijtihaad when it comes to an ibaadah would be when someone has a surgery on their face eg nose, they don’t do sajdas because if ijtihaad

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 8, 2021 at 11:16 am

Also even if masah is from tayammum it is still an ijtihaad

• Umer

Moderator March 14, 2021 at 6:56 pm

You may find this helpful. Please refer to the video below from 55:59 to 1:03:00

https://youtu.be/pEfET6cqiIY?t=3359

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 14, 2021 at 7:01 pm

Yes so the siyaaq sabaaq makes it clear that the illah of the hukm is to do with mushrikeen praying at those times. Same with iddah wherever the problems with mushrikeen don’t arise like in Makkah, the forbidden times aren’t forbidden anymore

• Umer

Moderator March 14, 2021 at 7:05 pm

Since exemption was only given for kaaba despite Islam and monotheism overtaking the Arab land, so I think it cannot be extended.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 14, 2021 at 7:06 pm

The exception was given because there is no hint of polytheism left in Arabia of people praying at those times. No one prays at any times nowadays as much as Muslims do so it doesn’t seem it can be extended anywhere. Even if they do pray there is simply no way that anyone could go into polytheism from it because their worship is not as well known as the times of muslims etc

• Umer

Moderator March 14, 2021 at 7:10 pm

If there was no hint of polytheism left in Arabia, then why was exemption limited to kaaba only? why not the whole Arabia?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 14, 2021 at 7:11 pm

Because there would’ve still been non Muslims in Arabia until the time of Umar رضي الله عنه and a bit after who prayed at these times most likely.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 29, 2021 at 7:15 am

Is it permissible to pray fard prayers during the forbidden times? For example, if I was ready to pray fajr once sunrise already began, can I do that? The prayer would be during sunrise, of course. JazakAllah.

• Ahsan

Moderator December 30, 2021 at 4:47 am

You have to wait then offer prayer

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 30, 2021 at 6:12 am

I’m confused because I thought I read online that fardh prayers can be offered at times of dislike/prohibited times? I thought the restriction is only for sunnah prayers?

• Ahsan

Moderator December 30, 2021 at 10:55 am

Ghamidi sb is of opinion that since prophet MOhammad saw has stopped us from praying at those time so we cannot pray in those times too.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 30, 2021 at 11:13 am

JazakAllah Mr. Ahsan Jalal.

I understand that point; however, I thought this restriction applied only to nafal and sunnah prayers. If this isn’t the case, then how is someone supposed to perform Maghrib prayer, which starts right when the sun is setting?

• Umer

Moderator December 31, 2021 at 6:29 am

The actual prohibition is for every form of Salah.

Sunset doesn’t take that much time. Depending upon certain factors like location, time of the year etc. it normally ranges from 2 to 5 minutes.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 31, 2021 at 1:51 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi. One thing I’ve noticed online is that people write down different periods of time that a person should refrain from praying. I believe I read somewhere that only fifteen to twenty minutes after ‘Fajr should be avoided, and maybe somewhere else that fifteen to twenty minutes before ‘Maghrib. It all gets confusing, so how do I know which time period to choose?

• Umer

Moderator January 1, 2022 at 6:46 pm

These are timings of caution i.e. extra 15-20 minutes before and/or after. But the actual happening of sunset and sunset to the best of my knowledge doesn’t take that much time. As a rough average you can say 2 to 5 minutes (the exact timing depends on certain factors). The rest is a matter of application and a matter of caution. It’s upto the person how cautious they want to be while applying this principle. Bottom line is that no Salah should be offered at the exact moments of Sunset and Sunrise.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 2, 2022 at 5:19 pm

JazakAllah. Am I okay to stick to five minutes before and after sunrise and sunset as the times to avoid prayer? Or is it better to stick to the most conservative opinion? Because, for example, I’ve seen someone refer to the golden hour as 45 minutes prior to maghrib, which is a long time to avoid prayer, especially with commitments.

Frankly, I’m not sure if the “golden hour” even refers to the period of time before sunset, but it’s referred to in this narrative:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The time for ‘Asr lasts until the sun turns yellow.” (Narrated by Muslim, 612).

JazakAllah for your help!

• Umer

Moderator January 2, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Please see if the following article helps:

Discussion 1626

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 5, 2022 at 9:52 am

I still have to read over this article carefully, but I was wondering if there is any harm in performing wudu or ghusl during the forbidden times for prayer? Or anything religiously related that is not prayer?

• Umer

Moderator January 6, 2022 at 4:21 am

It is just Salah and prostration which is forbidden at these times. This doesn’t extend to Wuzu and other similar acts.

The discussion "Forbidden Times Of Prayer" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now