Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam The Problem Of The Christian Water Cooler

• The Problem Of The Christian Water Cooler

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 27, 2020 at 9:54 pm

There is a water cooler in our school that is sponsored by Christian aid. Since all food and drink sacrificed or prepared perhaps in the name of another God is haraam is the water haraam?

Or is it allowed since food of ahl kitaab is allowed?

What if it was sacrificed to a Hindu deity?

Mohammad Yaseen replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • The Problem Of The Christian Water Cooler

Mohammad Yaseen updated 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 15 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 27, 2020 at 10:08 pm

What does water cooler from a Christian Aid have to do with Dietary Law of Christians? Am I missing some link?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 27, 2020 at 10:51 pm

Does it count as being sacrificed as a charity in the name of Jesus?

Because they do charity as a religious practice?

• Umer

Moderator October 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm

But they do charity in the name of God and to please God. It is their definition of God and their concept of His Being which is problematic but not their belief in one God itself.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 28, 2020 at 5:29 pm

So if a Hindu made an intention to give water in charity in the name of Ganesh would it be halal to drink?

• Umer

Moderator October 28, 2020 at 5:35 pm

If there is a big poster attached next to the water cooler claiming this then I would not drink from it because I know that they do associate partners with God. However, in normal circumstances I am not expected by religion to investigate every such matter in depth as to where the water came from unless evidence is so explicit.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 28, 2020 at 5:36 pm

But if there was a big poster claiming that Christians do this in the name of the trinity it is halal since God has allowed to food of ahl kitaab anyway right?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 28, 2020 at 5:37 pm

As a side point doesn’t religion require ihsan and taqwa which would ensue that we should actually check these things in detail?

• Umer

Moderator October 28, 2020 at 5:43 pm

ihsan and taqwa doesn’t mean this. It is execution of already prescribed religion in its best form but not going out of the way into things that were not required from us in the first place.

• Umer

Moderator October 28, 2020 at 5:40 pm

yes! and the rationale behind this you already know (hopefully)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 28, 2020 at 5:41 pm

Since they don’t take shirk as a religion openly iirc

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor October 29, 2020 at 8:50 pm

In the name of Allah, the Provider and Sustainer.

Dear diary.

Religions always have prohibitions. But they will always allow what is essential for the survival of life. Without life, there is no worship.

So let me see what does the Qur’ān says about this. I am only paraphrasing within the context. First, allowed things.

Concerning land animals:

(6:119) eat on what the name of Allah has been pronounced.

(5:1) Grazing livestock (not meat-eaters).

Concerning plants:

(20:53-54) eat of the diverse types of plants.

(6:141) eat the fruit.

Concerning water animals:

(16:14) eat the tender flesh from the water.

Concerning birds:

(56:21) eat the flesh of birds

Then prohibited things.

(6:145) Meat: Dead meat, the flesh of swine, slaughtered for other than Allah

For liquids;

(2:219) intoxicants are prohibited.

(6:145) Blood is prohibited

Now, think. Qur’ān doesn’t mention allowing or disallowing water! Could it be because life originated from water, is made of water, and cannot survive without water? Water is an inanimate thing, devoid of life but vital for life. It could not have been circumstantial, controversial, debatable, for one God or multiple Gods. The pronouncing of God’s name is only for the Grazing animals. And only eating a pig is haraam, not touching it. Haraam is a big sin and a big sin couldn’t have been omitted from the holy book. It couldn’t have been left to conjecture.

Hence water cannot be haram.

And of course, we are allowed to think whatever we think is right, within the constraints of our religion.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 29, 2020 at 8:51 pm

Yes but for example prasas afaik is vegetables and that would be haraam. So if a Hindu washes Ganesh with water and ‘sacrifices’ it to him it would be haraam. As it is given to someone other than God

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor October 29, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Who drinks water used to shower a diety? It is simply dirty for us. We are talking about water in a container to drink. Not water running off from a deity.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 29, 2020 at 9:02 pm

If someone says- i am giving this water to you in the name of Vishnu- will you drink it?

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor October 29, 2020 at 9:33 pm

We know that we have to do analytic thinking. What I do or what he does has no bearing on what you do. It is your decision for yourself and my decision for myself. My actions don’t make anything right or wrong, or halaal or haraam.

Think about what I wrote and be at peace with your conclusion!

Stay blessed and happy.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register