Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Science Did All Life Come From LUCA?

• Did All Life Come From LUCA?

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 65 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 2, 2020 at 8:57 am

Al-Anbiya – 21:30

Arabic

أَوَلَمۡ يَرَ ٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُوٓاْ أَنَّ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلۡأَرۡضَ كَانَتَا رَتۡقًا فَفَتَقۡنَٰهُمَاۖ وَجَعَلۡنَا مِنَ ٱلۡمَآءِ كُلَّ شَىۡءٍ حَىٍّۖ أَفَلَا يُؤۡمِنُونَ

Does this verse ensue common ancestry?

• Umer

Moderator November 3, 2020 at 12:29 am

This verse is referring to water being a pre-requisite for all life to form and sustain on earth. I don’t find anything linking it with common ancestry in the sense you’re referring to.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 3, 2020 at 2:10 am

Then does it clash with the Quran- the concept of all living beings coming from just one cell?

• Umer

Moderator November 3, 2020 at 9:10 am

Yes! it seems so.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 3, 2020 at 9:13 am

But why? The cell could have simply split into eventually a human and from another chain eventually into a lion

• Umer

Moderator November 3, 2020 at 9:27 am

But from Quran’s perspective, some verses don’t allow for this possibility. And from a scientific stand-point, there are some problems with random mutations as well. This requires some reading beyond academic text, so whenever you find time, do read the book I’d recommended to you in the other thread.

• Karim

Member November 7, 2020 at 11:32 am

Indeed all life came from a single cell , and intelligent design based evolution is not contradictory with Quran. What people find puzzeled about evolution is the complexity from such a small ingredients , but they forget the role the environment plays in structuring and guiding the complexity of life.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 7, 2020 at 11:33 am

@UmerQureshi what are the Quranic verses that you say contradict with this view?

• Umer

Moderator November 8, 2020 at 12:44 pm

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 9, 2020 at 8:55 am

How is the fact of all life forms sharing DNA differently interpreted by the Quran?

• Karim

Member November 8, 2020 at 9:18 pm

In the video above I think the question is of a sperate process of humans making , on the question of life from single cell , it is clear that DNA of humans and animals is not that different , we have more than 95 percent of genome similiar to monkey’s , and it shows the origins are similiar i.e life started from single cell , then the process is being debated , according to javed ghamidi the Quran seems to suggest that humans creation was a seperate process and evolution was not a Tree of life but a bush of life.

• Karim

Member November 8, 2020 at 9:19 pm

And indeed you would find scientists speak about bush of life rather than tree of life . I will link a video here

• Karim

Member November 8, 2020 at 9:24 pm

https://youtu.be/MXrYhINutuI Craig venter is a famous scientist and discovered RNA and human DNA portions

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 9, 2020 at 4:48 am

I just had a biology lesson and we went over a few proofs.

DNA having the same bases in all life, and humans sharing 98% of DNA with chimpanzees seems to suggest that humans and chimpanzees are closely related in the tree of life in which DNA suggests that all organisms are related snd stem from a single cell.

(I have not read the books yet)

• Shahid Nazir

Member November 9, 2020 at 5:52 am

Saboor Ahmad is a well known muslim researcher on evaluation, you should listen him, his channel name is Saboor ahmad darwinian delusion

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 9, 2020 at 6:38 am

Do you have any specific video?

• Karim

Member November 9, 2020 at 9:29 am

You would find this video very interesting

https://youtu.be/xIHMnD2FDeY , scientists are still debating how life started and when , and tree of life , may be bush of life , and components that are useful can be used across those bushes of life and that’s why we see such close genetic materials in organisims .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 9, 2020 at 11:39 am

Well Dawkins seemed pretty convinced that it was a tree. There was only one guy who talked about a bush and he gave no real evidence

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 9, 2020 at 11:41 am

And still, human and chimps would probably still have a common ancestor no?

• Shahid Nazir

Member November 9, 2020 at 12:01 pm

The argument that human and chimps have alot of similarity in thier DNA so therefore they have common ancestor, I think it is just assumption, so i think it’s not a valid argument

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 9, 2020 at 12:03 pm

What is the assumption? If there is a lot of similarities int he genotype of two organisms there must have been some sort of common ancestry. If all life had the same coding- DNA- then they must ALL be related

• Shahid Nazir

Member November 9, 2020 at 12:18 pm

Here is a video link of saboor Ahmad

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 9, 2020 at 12:29 pm

He says the similarities are not due to common ancestry. Then what are they due to? His placental vs marsupial example doesn’t really make sense. Changes in genes can lead to large phenotypical differences due to mutations or adaptations during natural selection. And his idea of the echo location gene- he just said it’s not due to common ancestry- why, what’s the evidence?

• Shahid Nazir

Member November 9, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Well i don’t know why these exist but we can’t say surely that these similarity exist because of common ancestor, again for me it is assumption, and similarity is not enough proof for common ancestor

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 9, 2020 at 12:37 pm

So, all living organisms (all) having the same 4 based DNA is not enough evidence that they all came form a cell that had this base DNA?

• Shahid Nazir

Member November 9, 2020 at 12:44 pm

For me it’s not,

• Shahid Nazir

Member November 9, 2020 at 12:47 pm

For me it’s not, but there is high chances of that possbilty but it’s not the ultimate proof

• Shahid Nazir

Member November 9, 2020 at 12:21 pm

Here is another video

• Karim

Member November 10, 2020 at 9:39 am

there is no problem with same DNA , natural processes use the same functional blocks when they are fit to do so , the problem is with the overall process . The complexity of the life on earth can not be explained by a single process which has every type of random mutations and things that can go wrong , and still it produces these vast able organisims. There must be different blue prints for different organisims , and hence different processes ( a process is not an early phase of eukaryotic cell , it is a complete history from cells to functional blocks to complete Organisims). And one thing that makes the huge doubt about the single tree , is the environment, environments shaped organisims and earth’s environment was so chaotic and changing, a single process can not hold so much change and mutations and still come up with this tightly integrated organisims.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 10, 2020 at 10:00 am

We studied the finches example on the Galápagos Islands. The theory is that a common ancestor of finches came and then, according to the different food sources of the different islands completely different species emerges from that one common ancestor. Can’t we trace all life back to a common ancestor that had the same basic DNA which then branched off into many different varied life forms. And these forms would be different due to environment, but mutations from cosmic rays and issues in DNA replication, transcription and translation are also a cause

• Karim

Member November 10, 2020 at 10:27 am

The example you described is of speciation and once an organisim , able and already adopted to the environment was there , and then changes in conditions etc produced changes in the organisim. What we are discussing is macro evolution , i.e the dogs into cats , and some monkey like thing to humans , and even very low in the tree , when primitive life forms were there , a single process of changes , with all the complexity we see around us , even in the amount of whole time of universe can not hold up like that .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 10, 2020 at 10:30 am

But no one says cats to dogs. They may say that a very very long time ago there was a common ancestor that split into two distinct branches due to some environmental factor or mutation

• Karim

Member November 10, 2020 at 10:45 am

This argument is simplification of the whole complexity of the problem by defeating vast number of environmental and natural changes that can work against that particular line of ancestor change , and making the time win . The basic premise of this theory is time , given enough time whatever environments or natural changes are the complexity will be observed by this random genetic single process. And the ultimate test of this will be an artificial or natural process that can produce this tree without stopping .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 10, 2020 at 10:47 am

On a small scale what about antibiotic resistance in bacteria?

• Karim

Member November 10, 2020 at 10:59 am

They are complex things , and we can say intelligent too in some sense , so this should not be surprising.

• Karim

Member November 10, 2020 at 11:07 am

Any way to wrap up the whole argument , life on earth is such a complex thing and to give evidence to this or the other explanation to the way it reached till now , we need more than just a single statement about random change and enough time. We need models and real evidence over a long period of time , and such that the complexity we see satisfactorily explained by them.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 10, 2020 at 3:58 pm

What about the fossil evidence that we can use to trace and build up this real evidence of change over time. (I’m not ready to wrap up just yet 😅)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 10, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Here are some that are commonly shown. We can see how the bones developed differently and how the pentadactyl evolved differently from the same set of bones.

• Karim

Member November 10, 2020 at 11:14 pm

fossile records show similiarity , and then we imply that based on similiarity they must be same ancestor and a same process. What it does not show is how ? , ok you will say random mutations in genes , so show me a single model where a single process with fixed gene set can , not only evolves but sustains the way life did on earth. You can ask your teacher to show you a single simulation or model where it holds true . Answer is a single process can not do that , environements shape process and multiple processes can use the same functional blocks overtime , and can have similiarity , but binding them all up into one single narrow process and saying it just magically happens because we have so and so bone in the whale that is in the human , is not an answer , its an analogy.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 11, 2020 at 2:12 am

That makes sense. So the point is that to assume that ALL similarities are due to common ancestry is an assumption that isn’t very strong

• Karim

Member November 11, 2020 at 5:24 am

Yes , based on similiarity, backwards reasoning makes it easy to believe the same ancestors and divergences , but you have to answer how ? and give explanation to forward reasoning that there is not a single model of the single random mutation based process where it can generate such complex life and organisims even with time more than till from the birth of universe.

• Karim

Member November 11, 2020 at 5:35 am

If there was not a correct but even a plausible model that have been shown to achieve that , we would not have been debating the origins of life right now even amoung top researchers because the mystery would then be solved bottom to up and no room for any doubts.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 19, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Even if the model is weak though- isn’t it impossible to deny the mathematical DNA similarity between chimps and humans which is then further supported by fossil evidence which points to common ancestry? At least that much is strong from what I’ve researched

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:04 am

The model is not only weak , it is wishful thinking . Regarding the fossil evidence and DNA , we have to separate the questions now . If the model is unproven , and a process is observed , until we do not have a correct model we can not copy paste the conclusions of the model on the process. And as explained in our discussion above there is another model that can also explain the fossil evidence and DNA similarity.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 10:10 am

I have then two queries-

The model has been to a certain extent proven in the building of resistance in a community of bacteria to antibiotics- what would you say to this?

And that the mathematical correlation of DNA shows that these organisms must be related- we just don’t know how (if the model is incorrect). What other conclusion can be made form such similar DNA?

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:26 am

Regarding antibiotic resistance, a single is so much complex it is an intelligent entity in itself , you can read about whole cell biology in this matter.

And DNA correlations can mean multiple things , and one of it is similiarity In processes. Again the complexity of life and origin of life , has been two biggest questions that show flaw in the conclusion scientists derive from similiar DNA , i.e same tree.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 10:28 am

But we know the transfer of DNA occurs through reproduction and that’s how families are formed. So it is a reasonable conclusion to say that organisms with similar DNA are related.

Sorry I don’t get what you mean by a ‘single’ is so complicated?

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:32 am

a single cell i meant . there is nothing special about reproduction , it is a functional block .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 10:33 am

So- the complexity of the bacteria is irrelevant to the evolution to antibiotic resistance they show.

The only way to transfer DNA is through reproduction. So it is not far fetched to say that organisms with similar DNA are related. Unless there is another way to have extremely similar DNA which would be unreasonable to assume/conclude

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:34 am

reproduction and DNA transfer through it can happen in both models .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 10:35 am

What other model? How does it account for the astounding similarity?

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:38 am

what do you think about random mutation based model of evolution ? . Does in your view the fossil evidence , DNA similiarity, antibiotic resistance etc support that model ? .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 10:41 am

Antibiotic resistance seems to.

But that is irrelevant since we know how dna is transferred and can draw a conclusion that organisms with similar dna are related

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:47 am

so the fundamental difference in our opinion is that you think the examples you gave seems to support random mutation model of evolution and hence all are related etc.

My view is since random mutation model of evolution is unproven and in some sense proven wrong ( from complexity modelling etc ) , hence the examples you gave can have different explanations based on correct model .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 10:49 am

No- my opinion (for now) is that the model is irrelevant. But the similarity of dna can be for no other reason than some sort of relation.

Is there a way for dna to be so similar without organisms being biologically related?

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:54 am

yes related , but what kind of related , related in the same tree , same ancestor etc , or in some other way like have same dna , becuase process were similiar , and due to this reason the model is relevant in my view so that it can explain this.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 10:55 am

You can only be related in one way- that’s with a common ancestor since obviously monkeys aren’t our brothers and sisters- so we trace back and logically conclude there must’ve been a common ancestor.

What other explanation could there be?

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:56 am

you must include the model otherwise all you have is guessing.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 10:56 am

You have admitted that organisms must be related. There is only one way to be related and that would be common ancestor

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 10:59 am

Based on different model it can be different, that is the problem

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 11:06 am

until the correct model we can not say surely about this conclusion . you can take example from physics multiple models can explain the motion of planets, but in some edge cases they break down , and a new model comes which can explain all the edge cases but with different conclusions about the motion , hence untill we do not have correct model, we can not say that current conclusions are perfect.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 23, 2020 at 11:10 am

I don’t get it- the relation we find in dna is not under any model. It is simply a fact. It can only be explained afaik by common ancestry. How did this common ancestry result like this? Did all organisms have a common one? I don’t know. But at least with Hunan and chimps we can say they have a common ancestor (no model is needed for this fact)

• Karim

Member November 23, 2020 at 11:22 am

it is needed , if correct model concludes this then it can be accepted , if not then no .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 27, 2020 at 12:29 pm
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 27, 2020 at 12:37 pm

This discussion has grown too big and and has detracted from the original question. I am closing this thread, but please feel free to start new focused discussions around this topic. Please remember that every discussion must start with an objective question.

The discussion "Did All Life Come From LUCA?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now