Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Maryam (as)'s Grief While Giving Birth

Tagged: ,

• Maryam (as)'s Grief While Giving Birth

Posted by Sheharbano Ali on November 2, 2020 at 1:22 pm

(19:23) Then the birth pangs drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree and she said: “Oh, would that I had died before this and had been all forgotten.”

Why would Maryam (as) and especially her, say these words? I mean, if an angel comes up to me and informs me about what he informed her, wouldn’t I be grateful every instance and people wouldn’t even be my priority from that moment. Because I know its from God. Why would Maryam (as) say that?

Afia Khan replied 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Maryam (as)'s Grief While Giving Birth

Afia Khan updated 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • Sheharbano Ali

Member November 2, 2020 at 1:25 pm

@AhmadShoaib any insight?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 2, 2020 at 1:27 pm

I think that it’s very easy to speculate about what one would do. But in the actual moment, the situation is probably a lot more different. We have to understand that these cold hearted Jews would not be pleased at all with Maryam عليها السلام and that she would be in extreme danger. Also probably the pain of childbirth with no midwife had something to do with it. Also maryam عليها السلام being i assume quite young (since no man had touched her) may have played a part

• Umer

Moderator November 2, 2020 at 11:28 pm

If Prophets can feel the hardships in such a severe manner despite direct interlocution with God, why would the reaction of Maryam (AS) should’ve been any different than them?

أَمْ حَسِبْتُمْ أَنْ تَدْخُلُوا الْجَنَّةَ وَلَمَّا يَأْتِكُمْ مَثَلُ الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِنْ قَبْلِكُمْ مَسَّتْهُمْ الْبَأْسَاءُ وَالضَّرَّاءُ وَزُلْزِلُوا حَتَّى يَقُولَ الرَّسُولُ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مَعَهُ مَتَى نَصْرُ اللَّهِ أَلَا إِنَّ نَصْرَ اللَّهِ قَرِيبٌ

[These Hypocrites think that all the hardships that they face should be overcome by the help of God without they being entrusted with any responsibility to do deal with them. Listen!] do you suppose that you would go to Paradise even though you have not encountered the circumstances which were encountered by people before you [to whom Messengers were similarly sent]? Affliction and hardships befell them; and so shaken were they that the Messenger and those of faith who were with him cried out: ‘When comes the help of God?’ [At that time, the glad tidings were given]: Listen! God’s help is ever near. (2:214)

• Sheharbano Ali

Member November 3, 2020 at 1:40 am

👍👍

• Afia Khan

Member November 3, 2020 at 4:44 pm

I think because of the difficulties she faced as a woman giving birth to a child alone, and mostly because of the embarrassment about what people would think of her.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register