Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Is My Repentance Being Accepted?

• Is My Repentance Being Accepted?

Posted by Mohammed Ali on November 4, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Everytime I commit a major sin, I know what ive just done is wrong, so I instantly go into sujood and absolutely beg for forgiveness. The problem is that i don’t think I truly feel that regret in my heart. So I dont know if my repentance is getting accepted. Do I have to feel absolutely terrible and guilty inside for my repentance to be accepted? or will it still be accepted if I feel only a little bit of guilt?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Is My Repentance Being Accepted?

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 4, 2020 at 4:06 pm

There is no condition of feeling terribly guilty in order for one’s repentance to be accepted. As long as we sincerely repent, we should be hopeful that our repentance is accepted.

Please consider the following verses from the Quran also:

Quran 3:135-136

Translation by Asad

And who, when they have committed a shameful deed or have [otherwise] sinned against themselves, remember God and pray that their sins be forgiven – for who but God could forgive sins? – and do not knowingly persist in doing whatever [wrong] they may have done. These it is who shall have as their reward forgiveness from their Sustainer, and gardens through which running waters flow, therein to abide: and how excellent a reward for those who labour!

• Mohammed Ali

Member November 4, 2020 at 4:11 pm

but what do you mean by being sincere? is me begging for forgiveness and calling out Ar Rahman to forgive me being sincere? or do I need to say or do more things?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 4, 2020 at 4:17 pm

To be sincere means that you have realized and accepted your mistake, and that you commit to not making the same mistake again. If the mistake does happen again though, you make a heartfelt repentance again, be hopeful of the mercy of God, and carry on with life.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 4, 2020 at 4:20 pm

I think perhaps an analogy would help too.

If you are disrespectful to your mother or maybe your teacher you will say sorry.

Now unless you are truly sorry it’s just hot air coming from your mouth. This truly being sincerely sorry may show up as (to God) falling into sajda or perhaps crying at how you are so surprised that you, whilst believing in God, could disobey him. Or you may not cry or fall into sajda because you simply may not have that personality. A person knows very well when he is being sincere or when he is just parroting some duas

And of course the same way you would try to never disobey your parents or disrespect your teacher- you would try your level best to never commit the sin against God ever again.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 4, 2020 at 4:07 pm
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 4, 2020 at 4:09 pm
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 4, 2020 at 4:11 pm

The discussion "Is My Repentance Being Accepted?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now