Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Evidence That An Appearance Of A Long Mustache And Short Beard Is Arrogant?

• Evidence That An Appearance Of A Long Mustache And Short Beard Is Arrogant?

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on November 8, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Asalamoalaikum,

Does anyone here have evidence that keeping a short beard and long mustache was a sign of arrogance during the Prophet’s time? Javed Ghamidi makes this point when he explains that keeping a beard is not fard; however, I cannot find the evidence to back this claim up.

JazakAllah

Haseeb Faisal replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Evidence That An Appearance Of A Long Mustache And Short Beard Is Arrogant?

Haseeb Faisal updated 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 8, 2020 at 8:49 pm

Ghamidi sahab’s argument against the beard is not based on the point that short beard and long mustache was a sign of arrogance. He made that point in order to explain a narration. The fact that long mustache was a sign of arrogance is a well known fact.

Ghamidi sahab has explained his argument against beard not being a sunnah in a lot of detail. Please see the following thread:

Discussion 1261 • Reply 1622

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 17, 2021 at 8:23 pm

JazakAllah for your answer sir. However, even if he made this point with regards to a certain narration, my question is: how can we be certain that a long mustache in the Arab Peninsula was considered a sign of arrogance 1400 years ago? Is there any historical evidence? I made sure to watch the 23 Questions series on the beard in detail before asking this question, but I do believe this point was addressed.

• Ahsan

Moderator February 18, 2021 at 8:27 am

I have no evidence for 1400 years ago but in Pakistan, long moustache are still considered as sign of pride.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 28, 2021 at 3:42 pm

JazakAllah for your response!

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 28, 2021 at 4:32 pm

The message seems to be that anything, sign, symbol or act that exhibits arrogance is against the teachings of Islam; whether it is dress, gold, mustache or just a manner of walking or talking. With the passage of time and in various cultures the signs, symbols and acts of arrogance may be different and thus prohibited accordingly.

On the matter of beard, I do not find anything in Quran about keeping a beard, so it can’t be fard. I still wonder how beard can be Fard when most of the people 1400 years ago, including Kuffars, had beard. I guess, it was just not convenient to shave every morning at that time.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 28, 2021 at 7:11 pm

You make a really good point that signs of arrogance change with the passage of time. I also agree that based on the explanations Javed Ghamidi has provided in his video, it seems that the evidence for keeping a beard being a part of our faith seems weak. With that being said, I am curious as to whether a long moustache was a sign of arrogance back then since this is one of the main points Ghamidi makes when interpreting ahadith pertaining to the beard.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 28, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Christa Salamandra, an associate professor of anthropology at City University of New York, told CNN that “traditionally, a luxurious mustache was a symbol of high social status,” and had figured heavily in matters of personal honor in the Arab world. Men swore on their mustaches in sayings and folk tales, used them as collateral for loans and guarantees for promises, and sometimes even shaved their opponents’ lips as a punishment. [Ibid]

http://factsanddetails.com/world/cat55/sub359/entry-5920.html#chapter-4

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 28, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Wow! This is an excellent source. Thank you so much for taking the time to find it for me, Mr. Nadeem! I will use this information to look further look into the matter.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register