Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia How To Trace Ijma And Tawatur?

• How To Trace Ijma And Tawatur?

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member December 10, 2020 at 7:30 pm

Assalam-o-Alsikam Brother Faisal. Will you please look at my understanding of Sunnah and Hadith and correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

https://youtu.be/y6mp6z58k8Q

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 11, 2020 at 12:49 am

There are some incorrect statements in this video. If you really want to highlight the differences between the sunnah and the hadith, points in the following post can be your starting point:

Discussion 1243

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 11, 2020 at 7:42 am

Thank you Faisal. I went through this discussion and it is excellent information. Seems like I have covered in my writing all those points made in this discussion and some more. I want to be correct so if you could just refer me to the bullet number that is incorrect, I would do my research and correct the information. Here is the transcript.

——————————-

Hadith

1. In Quran, Allah did not instruct to follow Hadith, but to follow the prophet

(where following prophet is time bound statement for people of that time who are themselves observing, listening or having conversation with him or learning about his public statements from other people; which is a Sunnah; not hadith)”

2. Hadiths outside of Quran has not been approved by Allah

3. There are authentic Hadiths of the prophet in Quran, but Allah has not taken responsibility to protect authenticity of any Hadith outside the Quran

4. No prophet reviewed or approved his Hadith, just as Prophet Muhammad did NOT review or approve his Hadith

5. Khulifa-e-Rashdeen (Omar, Abu-Bakr, Uthman, Ali) and Sahabah (companions of prophet) did not verify Hadith personally

6. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did NOT verify correctness of Hadith or authorized it to be written or published

7. Khulifa-e-Rashdeen (Omar, Abu-Bakr, Uthman, Ali) and Sahabah (companions of prophet) did NOT verify correctness of Hadiths or authorized to be written or published

8. No record exists showing that Khulifa-e-Rashdeen (Omar, Abu-Bakr, Uthman, Ali) or Sahabah (companions of prophet) have been following any specific Hadiths

9. Hadiths are specific to a specific prophet. There are separate Hadiths for prophet Jesus and Muhammad.

10. Mostly Hadith were not either repeated by prophet Muhammad or not exactly repeated in the same words in all situations

11. Authenticity of Hadith can be questioned based on the fact that although researchers of Hadith could have verified to some extent, the sanity, honesty and memory of a person quoting a Hadith, it is not possible to verify those few down the chain of information who are deceased.

12. Some hadith were never repeated by the prophet Muhammad. Some hadith were repeated differently by prophet Muhammad (pbuh) depending on varying circumstances. Also, the details of most hadiths have been reported from slightly to severely different.

13. Hadith instructions are specific to a specific person to a specific circumstance and within a specific context

14. Hadith information is transferred by verbal or audible means by only a very few people

15. Hadith were rarely known and shared to only a few people and information was transferred verbally or audibly for the first approximately 200 years

16. There is a great deal of contention amongst Muslims regarding authenticity and contents of Hadiths. Now over 150 books exist with unauthentic different or contradicting Hadiths

17. Hadith is not an essential part of Islam, but it helps explain or clarify some essential or non-essential part of Islam. Examples of Hadith are, “signs of the last day”, “How to eat”, “How to drink”, etc.

18. The root of many Firqas (Sects) in Christianity or Islam is the acceptance or rejection of some Hadith or due to varying interpretation of Hadiths

———————————————

Sunnah

A. “In Quran, Allah instructed to follow the prophet.

(where following prophet is time bound statement for people of that time who are themselves observing, listening or having conversation with him or learning about his public statements from other people; which is a Sunnah; not hadith)”

B. Sunnah is approved in Quran in writing as the direct and the most authentic word of Allah.

C. Allah took personal responsibility to protect the authenticity of Quran and thus the Sunnah and Hadiths in Quran

D. All prophets performed and approved Sunnah

E. Sunnah was approved by Khulifa-e-Rashdeen (Omar, Abu-Bakr, Uthman, Ali)

F. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) himself verified and approved that Sunnah is being followed correctly

G. Khulifa-e-Rashdeen (Omar, Abu-Bakr, Uthman, Ali) and Sahabah (companions of prophet) verified themselves that Sunnah is being followed correctly

H. Prophet Muhammad, Khulifa-e-Rashdeen (Omar, Abu-Bakr, Uthman, Ali) and Sahabah (companions of prophet) themselves performed Sunnah repeatedly and showed followers how to perform Sunnah

I. Sunnah was performed by all prophets. More specifically since prophet Ibrahim

J. Prophet Muhammad repeated instructions of Sunnah many times

K. Since Sunnah is transferred down the generations by millions of people, it is easy to verify its authenticity

L. Prophet Muhammad practically performed Sunnah and showed to thousands of Muslims how to perform Sunnah many times over

M. The prophet Muhammad delivered Sunnah instructions to masses in public gatherings many times over

N. Sunnah is transferred by millions of Muslims from one generation to others by its practical performance, visual observation and verbal instructions

O. Since the beginning, millions of Muslims have been observing Sunnah and practically performing it

P. Except for authentic variations in performing Sunnah by prophet Muhammad, there is no contention amongst Muslims regarding contents of Sunnah

Q. Sunnah is a critical and essential part of Islam. In fact it is the Islam. Examples of Sunnah are Prayer, Fasting, Hajj, Zakat

R. Sunnah has not generated any Firqas (Sects) within Muslims

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 11, 2020 at 10:33 am

Nadeem sahab, I commend you for taking the time and making an effort to learn this subject. I apologize that due to time constraints I won’t be able to give you a comprehensive feedback, however I will try to point out a couple of fundamental flaws in the way I have understood your video and the write up.

I am not sure what you mean by hadiths in the Quran. The entire Quran itself is a hadith – a narration of prophet Muhammad SAW that was transmitted to us through ijma and tawatur. What exists outside of the Quran are narrations that were reported by individuals and are attributed towards the prophet.

It’s true that khulfa-e-rashideen did not follow any particular collections of the hadith (for example Sahih al-Bukhari), but if something was reported to them by prophet SAW and they were confident about it’s authenticity then of course they followed it. In fact it’s incomprehensible that they wouldn’t follow it.

There are several other things that are not accurate, at least in the way I understand them from your write-up and video. As I mentioned above, I can’t give you any comprehensive feedback due to time constraints. I suggest that you research this subject further and concentrate on the mode of transmission of the sunnah and the hadith, as it holds the key to understand this topic from the ground up.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register