Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Intention Is Not Our Own Because Of Powerlessness/knowldge-forgetfulness

• Intention Is Not Our Own Because Of Powerlessness/knowldge-forgetfulness

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on November 11, 2020 at 2:55 am

Ghamidi sahab argues in his mizan al hikmah chapter of belief in God that intention cannot be our own because there is powerlessness in the world and knowledge can’t be our own because there is forgetfulness. Therefore this must be given to us rather than our own creation.

I don’t understand this argument fully. Why does forgetfulness ensue necessarily that knowledge is given to us. If we were the creators we would give ultimate knowledge to ourselves. But that is a false dichotomy in my view- we may have given it to ourselves but simply couldn’t give ourselves all of it. This seems to be a missing chain in the argument

Sheharbano Ali replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Intention Is Not Our Own Because Of Powerlessness/knowldge-forgetfulness

• Sheharbano Ali

Member November 11, 2020 at 4:57 am

This is exactly the question im struggling with these days. If intention cannot be our own EITHER, then what really is freewill?

• Sheharbano Ali

Member November 11, 2020 at 5:10 am

I apologise as I understand this is not your original question. But how you organised the first part of your question (relevant to me) is exactly how I had it in mind.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member November 11, 2020 at 5:01 am

Whatever the first step is, whether you give it the name of intention or else. If the first step has to come from man to be guided and the first step cannot be man’s own because of powerlessness. Then where is the ‘freewill’ in any of this?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register