Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Slavery After The Time Of Prophet Muhammad SAW

Tagged: 

• Slavery After The Time Of Prophet Muhammad SAW

Posted by Sardar Khan on November 11, 2020 at 12:46 pm

As per Ustaz Javed Ahmad Ghamidi’s explanation about abolition of slavery by Islam, he says that it was supposed to be ended gradually for existing slaves who were unable to survive on their on but Islam ended to make any new slaves. The question is, why it was not possible even after Prophet pbuh passed away and khilafat i rashida had been their for 30-40 years with such a rich empire to support those existing slaves? It appears to me that it could have easily been ended if they wouldhave taken/ understood it as an islamic ordinance. Why it was not ended during that period?

Umer replied 2 years ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Slavery After The Time Of Prophet Muhammad SAW

Umer updated 2 years ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 11, 2020 at 2:39 pm

Ghamidi sahab has explained Quran’s perspective on slavery in a lot of detail. For reference, it can be found here:

Discussion 30330

What happened after the demise of prophet Muhammad SAW is also clear in the light of history. Unfortunately, the Rashidun Caliphate did not last more than 3 decades, and even during that time they were faced with many challenges such as wars and droughts. Those who took over after them were not very focused on religion as presented in the Quran, and that’s why we see many other misconceptions being born during that period as well. Of course, as you stated, slavery could have been gradually abolished during that period, but it unfortunately flourished during that time.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member November 12, 2020 at 2:32 pm

Though Islam abolished slavery but it continued because

Some People misinterpreted 2 Quran Surahs

Surah Mominoon and Surah Mahrij and practiced slavery.

Slavery continued and was abolished finally by Saudi Arabia in 1960 after pressure from Britain and other Western countries.

Mauritania abolished slavery in 1982

40 million people are still in some form of slavery. These are my findings.

• Umer

Moderator November 13, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Please see this response by Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 1763 • Reply 1766

• Umer

Moderator November 17, 2020 at 6:48 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 24:22 to 33:03

https://youtu.be/_imOd5tyvGs?t=1462

• Sardar Khan

Member November 17, 2020 at 7:42 pm

Thank You So much to all of you…

Everything is so well Explained in these videos and writings that it clarifies all my confusions on the topic.

Now, it totally makes sense to me that on one hand “gerdenain Churhao” is an urge to muslims as a good deed and on the other hand how muslims could be allowed to “ Gerdanain pukro”!

Makes sense … Jakallah Khair ..!

• Rafia Khawaja

Member November 17, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Good question !

• Quaid Jamal

Member October 23, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Assalam alaikum,

I heard in one of Ustad Ghamidi Sahab lecture that capturing slaves after a war was prohibited but I read a Hadith in Trimidhi , Hadith no. 3017 narrated bas below

Narrated Abu Sa’eed Al-Khudri:

We captured some women on the Day of Awtas and they had husbands among their people. That was mentioned to the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) so Allah revealed: ‘…And women already married, except those whom your right hands possess… (4:24)’

Can someone please explain when capturing slaves was prohibited ,why these women were captured ?

Jazakallah khair

• Umer

Moderator October 24, 2021 at 3:11 pm

This has nothing to do with slaves, it relates to the situation where already married women were captured during war, in that case, if they choose to marry any other man, they were given exception that they can if they choose to, in accordance with the already held custom of Arabs where previous Nikah was considered ineffective, as soon as a woman became a war captive.

Please also refer to the video below from 12:02 to 13:40

• Umer

Moderator April 15, 2022 at 6:38 am

Please also refer to the video below from 1:11:16 to 1:16:39

https://youtu.be/RV8ak6AKi_A?t=4276

The discussion "Slavery After The Time Of Prophet Muhammad SAW" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now