Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Alleged Inheritance Error In Quran

Tagged: ,

• Alleged Inheritance Error In Quran

Posted by Adnan Tamimi on November 12, 2020 at 1:30 am

There is a question posed by many non Muslims regarding the a mathematical error in the inheritance verse in the Quran. Usually most other objections which I have come across on any other topic can be easily dealt with but this left me stumped for quite a long time now because I read the entire verse’s translation very carefully trying to find a way to get rid of the error but I couldn’t find any way out. I listened to justifications by some learned Muslims on this topic but I the solution they presented did not make sense because they changed rules of math itself to make everything fit together – which should not be the case. We cannot deny that 2+2=4 and redefine the rules of addition if we supposedly find a contradiction. I know for sure that the Creator of Heavens and Earth cannot make a mathematical error. There has to be a proper logical explanation which I am not unable to find. After searching a lot online, I read from Dr Khalid Zaheer’s answer on his website that Dr Javed Ahmad also grappled with this issue during his early years but eventually found an answer, which Dr Zaheer did not elaborate on in his answer. This is why I am writing to you for help. The verse in question is Quran 4:11-12, 4:176 and the claim made is as follows :

“The greatest problem with Allah’s inheritance rules is that they result in multiple situations in which the total of the inheritance pie adds up to more than 100%. It is an extraordinary mathematical error.

Example 1:

A deceased man leaves behind a wife, two daughters, a mother and father. The wife receives ⅛. The two daughters share ⅔. The mother and father each get ⅙. Per the Quran’s math, the total combined is 1 ⅛.

Example 2:

A deceased woman leaves behind a husband and two sisters. The husband receives ½ and the sisters share ⅔. Per the Quran’s math, the total is 1 ⅙. “

Please explain how is our understanding of these verses incorrect. JazakAllah khair.

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Alleged Inheritance Error In Quran

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • Shoaib Ejaz

Member November 12, 2020 at 1:42 am

Answer for your first example: firstly you will give shares to wife and mother, then what will be left ,daughters will get 2/3 of that remaining wealth.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 12, 2020 at 1:49 am

The error is not in the Quran, but our classical understanding of the text. Ghamidi sahab has explained the Quranic law of inheritance quite elegantly. Please watch the following videos in which Hassan Ilyas sahab explains Ghamidi sahab’s understanding with easy to follow examples:

https://www.ghamidi.org/viewpoint/islamic-law-of-inheritance/

• Adnan Tamimi

Member November 12, 2020 at 3:42 am

@Shoaib How do we know it means “2/3rd of remaining” ? Because the verse translation says otherwise. The English translation says “their share is 2/3rd of the inheritance”, and not 2/3rd of remaining.

• Shoaib Ejaz

Member November 12, 2020 at 4:04 am

@adnantamimi brother try to understand this way wife’s share is 1/8 and mother’s share is 1/6 and the dead body has only son. As you know son will get all the wealth , then how will you assign 1/8 and 1/6 share to wife and mother respectively? Its a simple thing to understand in a worldly example if i have some money and i say all of this belongs to adnan and Ali will get 1/8th. Then you will definitely not say eqaution has become 1+1/8.

• Adnan Tamimi

Member November 12, 2020 at 3:43 am

@Faisal I believe that’s a full series of lecture videos. Can you please refer me to the video where this particular aspect is discussed ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 12, 2020 at 8:47 am

You’ll have to watch the whole series in order to understand the concept.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 12, 2020 at 8:50 am

The following thread also discusses the topic of distribution of inheritance in great detail:

Discussion 10380

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register