Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Was Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم Illiterate?

• Was Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم Illiterate?

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 14, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Al-Furqan – 25:5

Arabic

وَقَالُوٓاْ أَسَٰطِيرُ ٱلۡأَوَّلِينَ ٱكۡتَتَبَهَا فَهِىَ تُمۡلَىٰ عَلَيۡهِ بُكۡرَةً وَأَصِيلًا

This ayah also seems to imply that prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم wrote

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 14, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Also, it is claimed that as American habt reading and writing would be very likely.

• Ahsan

Moderator November 14, 2020 at 5:24 pm

The verse you mentioned talk about earliear books not Quran.
    The history tells us that when surah iqrah ayahs were revealed, Prophet Mohammad Saw said he didnt know how to read. Also. There were Katibs to write Quran.
    In Bible, it was also mentioned that unlettered prophet will come who will speak words of God (Dont remember reference)
    I will say Prophet Mohammad saw can not read or write.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 14, 2020 at 5:25 pm

The verse is talking about the Quran

That Hadith is weak not only by sanad but also matn

The bible verse would be interesting

• Ahsan

Moderator November 14, 2020 at 5:42 pm

You are ryt. its talking about Quran. I will assume it has been written by Katibs.
      As in Surah Ankaboot ayah 48, (reference taken from 1st link given below) Allah says Prophet Mohamad didnt read or write.
      I couldnot find Ghamidi sb video but you can listen to these two vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7536WxPfpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34hgGlWovbQ

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 14, 2020 at 5:43 pm

Al-‘Ankabut – 29:48

Arabic

وَمَا كُنتَ تَتۡلُواْ مِن قَبۡلِهِۦ مِن كِتَٰبٍ وَلَا تَخُطُّهُۥ بِيَمِينِكَۖ إِذًا لَّٱرۡتَابَ ٱلۡمُبۡطِلُونَ

All this ayah is saying is adding to one of the possibilities I have above- that it refers to not knowing much about religious scriptures

• Ahsan

Moderator November 14, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Possibly u r correct.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 14, 2020 at 6:43 pm

What we know with certainty is that the word ‘ummi‘ was commonly used for non-ahle-kitab Arabs of the time since they had not received any scripture. Quran has also used the same word for prophet SAW which is commonly translated as unlettered.

We do get hints from hadith narratives that prophet SAW could at least read, but nothing can be said with certainty, as there are differing opinions on this.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 14, 2020 at 6:45 pm

So wouldn’t it be more likely that ummi was simply the Jews way of referring to gentiles? Or does it have some meaning that necessarily implies that the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was unlettered?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm

Please read my comment above. Then tell me which one of my human faculties can I use to answer your follow up question?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 14, 2020 at 6:52 pm

We know with certainty that it means gentiles as they hadn’t received scripture. So I just want it make sure that we can’t use this verse to imply that prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was illiterate- and that this is simply a matter of history.

Have I understood correctly?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 14, 2020 at 6:54 pm

but nothing can be said with certainty, as there are differing opinions on this.”

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 31, 2020 at 8:26 pm

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register