A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam 66:3 Understanding

Tagged: ,

• 66:3 Understanding

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on November 15, 2020 at 7:45 pm

At-Tahrim – 66:3

Arabic

وَإِذۡ أَسَرَّ ٱلنَّبِىُّ إِلَىٰ بَعۡضِ أَزۡوَٰجِهِۦ حَدِيثًا فَلَمَّا نَبَّأَتۡ بِهِۦ وَأَظۡهَرَهُ ٱللَّهُ عَلَيۡهِ عَرَّفَ بَعۡضَهُۥ وَأَعۡرَضَ عَنۢ بَعۡضٍۖ فَلَمَّا نَبَّأَهَا بِهِۦ قَالَتۡ مَنۡ أَنۢبَأَكَ هَٰذَاۖ قَالَ نَبَّأَنِىَ ٱلۡعَلِيمُ ٱلۡخَبِيرُ

I don’t really get what’s going on here. The prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم told his wife a secret who told it to another wife. Then the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم told another secret of which he only revealed a part?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • 66:3 Understanding

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator November 15, 2020 at 11:26 pm

Sahih al-Bukhari 4912 refers to these ayah as
    Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) used to drink honey in the house of Zainab, the daughter of Jahsh, and would stay there with her. So Hafsa and I agreed secretly that, if he come to either of us, she would say to him. “It seems you have eaten Maghafir (a kind of bad-smelling resin), for I smell in you the smell of Maghafir,” (We did so) and he replied. “No, but I was drinking honey in the house of Zainab, the daughter of Jahsh, and I shall never take it again. I have taken an oath as to that, and you should not tell anybody about it.”

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 16, 2020 at 2:13 am

That may be referring to ayah 1 I’m talking about ayah 3

• Afia Khan

Member November 16, 2020 at 6:10 pm

the secret consisted of two points, firstly eating honey before his wife Zaynab, the daughter of Jahsh and secondly prohibiting himself from eating honey in future. The wife who divulged the secret was Hafsa who upon being informed of the secret, she divulged the secret to ‘À’isha.

Upon being apprised of the disclosure of the secret through Divine Revelation, he informed Hafsa of some of it but refrained from informing her of it all to prevent her from being ashamed.

At any rate, upon informing Hafsa of the disclosure of the secret, she inquired about the source of intelligence. He replied that God Almighty, the All-Wise, had informed him of the disclosure.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 16, 2020 at 6:40 pm

It does not make sense that this is a secret. We are not told what the secret is.

What I don’t get is

So are there three wives in this situation or two? Was a wife told a secret- another wife was spying or something and told the secret to another one. Then the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم told another secret?

Or:

1.A secret was told to a wide

2. She told it to another wife

3. (The point that I don’t get) the same wife who was told the secret in the first place was told the same secret but only a part?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register