To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Non-Muslims Religious Festivities Food

• Non-Muslims Religious Festivities Food

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator November 16, 2020 at 6:20 pm
    • Muhammad Usman Khalid

Member November 16, 2020 at 6:47 pm

Thank you for your reply. Would we exercise same caution for festivities of Abrahamic faiths such as Thanksgiving dinner/Christmas party/Rosh Hashanah or they are excused as per Quran Ayat 5:5?

• Umer

Moderator November 17, 2020 at 6:14 pm

As a Principle, following are the Quranic guidelines that need to be observed at all costs:

Discussion 1641

The specific requirements of Tasmiya And Tazzkiya for eating meat will naturally be lifted in case of food other than meat. However, one should be very careful of any polytheistic beliefs associated to other meals as well e.g. food including sweets and fruits at times given in the name other than God (whether by Hindus, Muslims, Jews or Christians), which would be Haram in all cases.

Since Jews and Christians did not practice open polytheism that is why exemption was given for their meat/food since it fulfilled all the requirements at that time. But this exemption is not absolute, rather, it is also subject to general requirements mentioned in Quran (as can be found in above referenced thread).

Following discussion will add further insight into this matter. Please refer to the video below from 1:05:03 to 1:14:07

https://youtu.be/46IywEVt9eQ?t=3903

• Umer

Moderator December 7, 2020 at 3:10 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 9:08 to 10:36

https://youtu.be/bypN2Cu8uwo?t=548

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 7, 2020 at 4:22 pm

So the food on Diwali wasn’t pledged to any idol i guess- it was just given as a sweet on the day of Diwali. It should be halal right?

• Umer

Moderator December 7, 2020 at 4:29 pm

I think instead of guessing you can ask your hindu friends, because I myself am not certain about their (sweets) polytheistic associations.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 7, 2020 at 4:43 pm

👍

The discussion "Non-Muslims Religious Festivities Food" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now