Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 55:27 Difference Between Zu And Zi

Tagged: 

• Quran 55:27 Difference Between Zu And Zi

Posted by Imran Shafiq on November 20, 2020 at 8:05 pm

Can someone please explain the difference between Zu and Zi in the two ayat’s below. Is this a grammar nuance? The ayah structure is very similar.

55:27 وَيَبْقَىٰ وَجْهُ رَبِّكَ ذُو ٱلْجَلَٰلِ وَٱلْإِكْرَامِ

55:78 تَبَٰرَكَ ٱسْمُ رَبِّكَ ذِى ٱلْجَلَٰلِ وَٱلْإِكْرَامِ

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Quran 55:27 Difference Between Zu And Zi

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor November 20, 2020 at 9:17 pm
    • Imran Shafiq

Member November 21, 2020 at 3:31 am

@yaseen Thank you for the definitions. I guess my question is why is it nominative case Zu in the first verse and genitive case Zi in the second? Which of the words (that come before in the verse) is causing the change in case?

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor November 21, 2020 at 5:26 am

ذو,ذا،ذی

All the words have same meaning, possessor

These nouns always come as مضاف and are classified as 5 special nouns الأسماء الخمسة

First one 55:27 ,ذو is in Nominative مرفوع case as attribute of وجه، مرفوع

The declined form 55:78 ذى is in Genitive مجرور case as an attribute of رب ، مجرور

Courtesy: Dr Shakeel Ahmad.

• Imran Shafiq

Member November 21, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Is it safe to deduce that 55:27 wajhu (the face) is the person of Allah so zu corresponds to that while in 55:78 asmu (the name) is not the person of Allah so the zi corresponds to rabbi instead?

• Imran Shafiq

Member November 21, 2020 at 3:59 pm

typo: deduce

• Afia Khan

Member November 21, 2020 at 8:34 am

JAK

so In the first ayah it is sifat mousoof of وجه.

And In the second ayah it is majoor of ربى

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 21, 2020 at 6:28 pm

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 21, 2020 at 6:32 pm

in the first ayah the ism mafool is وجه and it is a mudaf. رب is a mudaf ilayh with وجه and also a mudaf with a mudaf ilayh of ك. But then ذو is also the ism mafool since it is nasab.

So according to my knowledge it’s saying

‘the presence of your lord will remain- the owner of glory and majesty will remain’

In the second ayah the mudaf is اسم and it has a mudaf ilayh of رب. (The word رب is also in an idafa with ك). However the ذي here is in jarr since it is in idafa with اسم.

So it is the name of God that is being described as glorious here since the idafah is twofold like in the fatiha (مالك يوم الدين- the owner of the day of judgement- notice how the ‘of’ is repeated)

Here it’s saying afaik:

‘Blessed is the name of your lord of glory and majesty’

The difference being that the first ayah is not ‘the presence of your lord of glory and majesty will remain’

This is only to my knowledge I may be wrong

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 1, 2020 at 3:57 pm

actually- it is in ayah 27 where the ‘person’ of God is being described with glory and majesty.

It is the same in the last ayah- it is ‘the Lord’ that is being described with glory and majesty.

Since the statuses of وجه matches with ذو and the status of ذي matches with ربك.

• Saba Madani

Member November 22, 2020 at 5:33 am

In the first example it’s describing وجه which is marfoo, therefore zu ( marfoo) is used

In the 2 nd example it’s describing rabbi which is majroor, so Zi ( majroor) is used

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register