Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Ibrahim عليه السلام Cutting Birds

Tagged: , ,

• Ibrahim عليه السلام Cutting Birds

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on November 21, 2020 at 3:30 pm

And [in this regard, another] incident should be kept in consideration27 when Abraham said: “Show me, Lord, how You will raise the dead?” He replied: “Do you have no faith?” “Yes, but just to reassure my heart” said Abraham. God said: “Take four birds28 and tame them29, and [cut their bodies to pieces] and place a piece of them on each mountain-top, then call them back. They will [come back to life and] come swiftly to you, and [for the future] fully understand that God is mighty and wise.”30 (260)
    Why does Ghamidi sahab add in brackets to cut them? Couldn’t it mean that the birds come back showing how the soul will fly back to God because of the deep relation? Mufti Abu layth says juz just means place eg one on this mountain and another there.A hole in his interpretation would be though- that Ibrahim عليه السلام asked how is life given to the dead and he wasn’t asking obviously for the effects of the deep relation rather more of a how is it possible type thing.

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Ibrahim عليه السلام Cutting Birds

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator November 22, 2020 at 7:43 am

I don’t understand Mufti Abu Layth’s logic and you yourself have critiqued His point quite appropriately in your question.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 22, 2020 at 7:44 am

The the adding of cut them in brackets is because of the word juz if I understood correctly?

• Umer

Moderator November 22, 2020 at 7:54 am

That too and also hazaf (exclusion) of logical obvious. Same is the case with “[come back to life and]”

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 16, 2021 at 8:43 pm

This might be helpful in understanding the need for brackets in translations:

https://fb.watch/4h60c2Y4vT/

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register