Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Unconditional Love

• Umer

Moderator November 22, 2020 at 7:13 am

I don’t think this contradicts with Islamic teachings in general except for the fact when someone commits a crime or when a Muslim breaks His oath with God and becomes eligible for punishment in this world. Even so, such punishments are extreme punishments to be given when circumstances and conditions do not allow for any lenience toward the perpetrator. Other that that, Islam is also proponent of living in harmony alongside all communities and without any discrimination.

The main conflict that has arisen between Islam and Western ideology because of this rationale is in its application of punishments. To understand this further, I hope you will find following commentary very insightful:

Discussion 985 • Reply 4538

• ودود

Member November 23, 2020 at 4:30 am

Punishments in here or in the hereafter are fine but my question is what is the purpose of the punishments? Is it to correct or cure the ill heart, mind or soul? Or it is to make the criminal an example for deterrence or is it to compensate the loss to the aggrieved party? Or anything else?

Why is someone with insane mind not punished?

Why is someone with corrupted nature is punished.

Why is some sick with arrogance is punished.

Why is someone not able to change his mind even after finding the truth due to his biases or lack of wisdom is punished?

At times punishment does not make good the damage caused by the crime so in such cases what is the point of punishing?

Why has God asked us to help the sinner thru advocating truth and perseverance if we are not supposed to love them?

Why has God curses Abu Lahab if we are not supposed to hate the sinners? (I am mean there seems to be conflicts and no one stance seems to be aligned with Quran — i am sure it’s due to lack if my knowledge and therefore i need help.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 24, 2020 at 2:49 am

Punishments serve different purposes, sometimes to cure, at other times to protect others, and yet at other times to set an example.

Insane mind is an impairment, while a corrupted nature is a choice. One is only responsible for their choices, not their impairments.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register