Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 2:254 – Intercession

Tagged: 

• Quran 2:254 – Intercession

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on November 28, 2020 at 10:41 am

Doesn’t this ayah outright deny any form of intercession?

Al-Baqarah – 2:254

Arabic

يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓاْ أَنفِقُواْ مِمَّا رَزَقۡنَٰكُم مِّن قَبۡلِ أَن يَأۡتِىَ يَوۡمٌ لَّا بَيۡعٌ فِيهِ وَلَا خُلَّةٌ وَلَا شَفَٰعَةٌۗ وَٱلۡكَٰفِرُونَ هُمُ ٱلظَّٰلِمُونَ

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Quran 2:254 – Intercession

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 16 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 28, 2020 at 11:06 am

It sure does. Those who are convinced of the concept of intercession make room from the very next verse 2:255. Please watch:

https://youtu.be/a5T5pYsMyPs

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 28, 2020 at 1:41 pm

But the words إلا بإذنه- why does this mean that intercession will take place. Why doesn’t it mean that intercession wouldn’t happen unless he gave permission.

When intercession is categorically denied then doesn’t the wording that ‘who could intercede except his permission’ imply that no one would intercede since he has not given permission?

An-Naba’ – 78:38

Arabic

يَوۡمَ يَقُومُ ٱلرُّوحُ وَٱلۡمَلَٰٓئِكَةُ صَفًّاۖ لَّا يَتَكَلَّمُونَ إِلَّا مَنۡ أَذِنَ لَهُ ٱلرَّحۡمَٰنُ وَقَالَ صَوَابًا

How is this ayah talking about intercession?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 28, 2020 at 1:45 pm

People will be allowed to second someone as per God’s permission. There shouldn’t be any confusion there.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 28, 2020 at 2:25 pm

If I say ‘no eating upstairs’. Then I later say ‘how could anyone eat upstairs without my permission?’- then is it possible for someone to eat upstairs given my primary statement?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 28, 2020 at 2:46 pm

There’s no intercession, period. 2:255 is about seconding someone.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 28, 2020 at 4:13 pm

The same word is used. It seems to be that the same concept is mentioned in 255 that was rejected in 254. So unless there was a concept change that wouldn’t hold up in my view. Seconding others is obviously just a dua. Like the example I gave above- intercession is completely rejected as far as I can tell and unless there’s a concept change that would make sense

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 28, 2020 at 4:31 pm

I saw a saw that could not saw. Would you argue that the first saw is the same as the second and the third?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 28, 2020 at 4:43 pm

I don’t get it Rofl

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 28, 2020 at 6:54 pm

The sentence “I saw a saw…” is a grammatically and linguistically correct sentence, and yet the word saw is used in three different meanings. The point about your previous argument about the same word being used in 2:54 and 2:55.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 28, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Ok that makes sense. But what is the proof that the word intercession is being used in this way?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 28, 2020 at 8:17 pm

The rest of the Quran.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 28, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Which ayah specifically gives this other concept of intercession?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 28, 2020 at 8:18 pm

I mean the one that would allow this concept change to be so clear between 254 and 255

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 28, 2020 at 11:40 am

Please also see:

Discussion 10437

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 13, 2020 at 4:59 pm

Al-Baqarah – 2:48

Arabic

وَٱتَّقُواْ يَوۡمًا لَّا تَجۡزِى نَفۡسٌ عَن نَّفۡسٍ شَيۡـًٔا وَلَا يُقۡبَلُ مِنۡهَا شَفَٰعَةٌ وَلَا يُؤۡخَذُ مِنۡهَا عَدۡلٌ وَلَا هُمۡ يُنصَرُونَ

This ayah also seems to give a blanket statement of rejection of intercession

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 5:14 pm

Any further ideas?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register