Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Veganism And Eid Ul Adha

• Veganism And Eid Ul Adha

Posted by Kamran Hammad on November 29, 2020 at 5:02 am

Q) AOA, my question is that can one donate money or plant based food on eid ul Adha instead of animal sacrifice? I am a vegan and do not consume or wear animal products. I also wanted to know that is animal sacrifice compulsory for a hajj pilgrim or not? A friend of mine sent me these Ahadith (mentioned below) and told me that animal sacrifice isn’t obligatory but still, I wanted to confirm. I am not comfortable with the idea of killing an animal knowingly that it is sentinent and we have a lot of alternatives available. We can get full nutrition on a plant based diet. Moreover, eating animal products is adversely impacting the planet. Animal agriculture is the biggesy contributor to global warming.

Fat’h al-Bāri adapted from ‘Selections from Fath al-Bāri by Ibn Hajar al-Asqalānī’ translated by Tim Winters.It is authentically reported in the sunan of Bayhaqī that Hudhayfa bin Usayd said :

لقد رأيت أبا بكر ، وعمر وما يضحيان كراهية أن يقتدى بهما .

I saw Abū Bakr and Umar would not perform Udhīyah (sacrifice) disliking that they’d be followed (by people in this tradition).

It is also authentically reported in another tradition, that Abū Masūd al-Ansarī said :

إني لأدعُ الأضحى وإني لموسر ، مخافةَ أن يرى جيراني أنه حتمٌ عليَّ

I abstain from offering Udhīyah even though I am able to offer it, fearing that my neighbor would think that it is incumbent upon me.

How Ibn Abbās used to perform his Udhiyah:

It is authentically reported in Sunan al Bayhaqī:

عن عكرمة مولى ابن عباس: كان إذا حضر الأضحى أعطى مولىً له درهمين فقال: اشتر بهما لحماً وأخبر الناس أنه أضحى ابن عباس

Ikrima narrated that if Ibn Abbas were to observe Udhīyah, he would give two Dirhams to his slave and say : buy meat out of it, and inform the people that this is the sacrifice (udhiya) of Ibn Abbas.

Ibn Hazm has authenticated and narrated from ,

The Tabi’ī Imam, Faqih Sa’īd bin al-Musayab and Imam Shā’bi that they both have said :

عن سعيد بن المسيب والشعبي وأنه قال : لأن أتصدق بثلاثة دراهم أحب إلي من أن أضحي .

As spending by three Dirhams in charity, is more dearer to us than to sacrifice (udhīyah).

(al-Muhalla)

المحلى

It is authentically proven from Bilāl that he said :

مَا أُبَالِي لَوْ ضَحَّيْتُ بِدِيكٍ ، وَلأَنْ أَتَصَدَّقَ بِثَمَنِهَا عَلَى يَتِيمٍ أَوْ مُغَبَّرٍ ، أَحَبُّ إِلَيَّ مِنْ أَنْ أُضَحِّيَ

I wouldn’t care if I slaughter a cock, as because spending that cost to an orphan or a poor, is more dearer to me than to offer udhiyah (sacrifice).

(Musannaf Abd al-Razzāq, the Sanad has been classified as “Sahih” by Allama Abu al-Hasan al-Sulaymanī and Sh Mash’hūr Hasan)

Qurra ibn Iyas reported: A man said, “O Messenger of Allah, I would have slaughtered a sheep but I had mercy on it.” The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “If you had mercy on the sheep, then Allah will have mercy on you twice.”

Source: al-Adab al-Mufrad 368

I’ll be looking forward to your reply

Regards,

Dr Kamran Hammad

Saba Madani replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Veganism And Eid Ul Adha

• Ahsan

Moderator November 29, 2020 at 12:09 pm

I am sure scholars will reply your question. I need to share my perspective
    First thing first
    There is an ayah in Quran
    O you who believe! Make not unlawful the tayyibaatwhich Allaah has made lawful to you, and transgress not. Verily, Allaah does not like the transgressors. [al-Maaidah 5:87]
    So you can not make anything Haram unless Allah has declared it.
    If people want to eat Tayyab meat. They cannot be forced to do giveup eating tayyab meat.

Secondly about veganism
    You can carry on your vegan diet as per your wish but dont consider animal meat haram as Allah has made it lawful.

About Animal sacrifice
    You can refer to these videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QurBsxHWg8Q

2nd video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvP44VpJKcI

3rd Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQ7g1cizLQ

• Ahsan

Moderator November 29, 2020 at 12:15 pm

• Saba Madani

Member November 29, 2020 at 1:35 pm

We think we don’t kill the animals bcs we’re merciful towards them. Allah, The Creater, is THE MOST MERCIFUL. He allows us to slaughter the animals for human consumption

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register