Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Earning Money Through Online Games Or Just Playing It

• Earning Money Through Online Games Or Just Playing It

Posted by Waliyur Rahman on November 30, 2020 at 5:42 am

Assalamu alaikum.

What about ‘8 Ball Pool’ like game where you exchange a lot of coins with friends and others? Or various cricketing or football apps where you earn money for your team which you made before a match? Like Go 11 cricket app.

If u explain it to some extent I would be really grateful!

Umer replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Earning Money Through Online Games Or Just Playing It

Umer updated 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator November 30, 2020 at 5:45 pm

Kindly elaborate further on the nature of activities you’re referring to.

And from what perspective are you asking the question i.e. from gambling point of view or any other?

• Waliyur Rahman

Member December 3, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Yes, my question is from gambling perspective.

There are few types of online games:

1. In 8 ball pool like game, either they will give you some coins in every hour or you can buy coins from their market to play with others. What is the ruling of that. There is no official money earning by winning coins.

2. Playing online games which give you free registration and a small amount bonus coins but you won’t pay any money for that.They give you the coins so that you can use it to bet. Like you have to choose 11 players from both sides who are playing against each other, and you will get certain points according to your selective players’ performances. When your coin will reach to a certain amount, you can play paid contests. And that’s how you can earn money from these coins without any self investment.

Although u can play paid contests directly by paying money.

My question is, is this earning is permissible? And is there any difference between playing with investment and without investment?

3. Playing online games at a website which gives you free registration and a small amount bonus money but you won’t pay any money to that website.They give you the money which you can use to play games like example X and O and you play against the computer and you use that money to place bets and if you win you get more money. You can then request a payout from that website for the money you have won.

Is this permissible?

The bonus money they gave me when I registered isn’t in my Bank Account.

• Afia Khan

Member December 3, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Are you taking about the prize money which has no monetary value and can only be used to unlock the levels or buy stuff for the game? Or for the money you can cash?

• Waliyur Rahman

Member December 3, 2020 at 5:31 pm

@Afia Khan, both!

• Umer

Moderator December 5, 2020 at 6:27 am

The actual ethical prohibition underlying all economic transactions is ‘لَا تَأْكُلُوا أَمْوَالَكُمْ بَيْنَكُمْ بِالْبَاطِلِ‘ (Do not devour one another’s wealth by wrongful means) as per Quran 4:29, of which Gambling and Interest are two applied situations which are specifically prohibited in Quran.

Gambling is prohibited because there is no moral basis for earning that money (someone else’s money) and secondly it is being done on mere chance and luck being played as a game.

The first scenario doesn’t seem objectionable, but the second and third scenarios you mentioned do give an indication of gambling as there is betting involved on someone else’s effort or on mere chance, and an actual payout in monetary terms. There is no moral basis for this kind of earning.

Please also refer to the following videos to grasp the concept of Gambling.

Please refer to the video below from 29:16 to 33:15

• Umer

Moderator December 5, 2020 at 6:28 am

Please also refer to the video below from 1:00 to 6:21

• Waliyur Rahman

Member December 5, 2020 at 8:59 am

Umer Qureshi, Thank you very much! Let’s hope for Hassan Sahab’s response.

• Umer

Moderator December 17, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Response by Hassan ilyas Sahab:

The discussion "Earning Money Through Online Games Or Just Playing It" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now