Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Does Morality Evolve With Time?

• Does Morality Evolve With Time?

Nadeem Minhas updated 3 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 1, 2020 at 1:00 pm

I don’t think that it’s fair to assume that slavery was considered okay in the past. Just because it was prevalent in the past doesn’t mean that people in general were unaware of it being an evil. Had they not considered it to be evil, why would they even abolish it?

A lot of times an evil is tolerated in societies due to circumstances, but overall people do know and understand that it’s evil. A present day example of this can be widespread financial corruption in our societies.

• Shahid Nazir

Member December 6, 2020 at 1:22 am

How you can say they were not considering slavery as good. Do we have any evidence from history that they were considering it evil thing?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 6, 2020 at 1:35 am

There were many rebellions by slaves as recorded in history. Isn’t this evidence enough?

Also I haven’t heard of any free parents during those times encouraging their children to become slaves when they grow up. Neither do I know of any free person voluntarily taking up slavery. If it was considered good, we surely would have had evidence for several such cases.

• Umer

Moderator December 1, 2020 at 6:41 pm

Please refer to the video below from 1:37:20 to 1:44:09 and from 1:47:24 to 1:50:36

• Umer

Moderator December 1, 2020 at 6:44 pm

You may also find these relevant to your question:

Discussion 35936

Discussion 35937

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 7, 2020 at 2:41 am

I think I agree with you that morality is subjective. In Europe walking in bikini at beach has no impact on morality, or having a boyfriend is not immoral. If you look at history, this perspective has changed over time. Since humans perspective of morality or even laws keep changing back and forth in time, that is why Allah sent Quran, which is Furqan. Quran gives us a standard to judge what is moral or immoral.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 7, 2020 at 2:44 am

Also Quran helps make morality objective; otherwise it is subjective. Also morality doesn’t evolve in one direction. If you look at the history, it goes back and forth.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register