Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Alcohol During Food Cooking

Tagged: , ,

• Alcohol During Food Cooking

Posted by Ahsan on December 3, 2020 at 1:51 pm

According to various research, alcohol can retain in food upto 60% depending on alcohol concetration, cooking time etc.
    In the video
    https://youtu.be/raf8eKjlC2s?t=5421
    Ghamdi Sb said that if alcohol retained in food do not induce intoxication then its ok to eat.
    Ghamdi sb himself repeatedly said that alchol prohibition has been done completely so I am unable to understand his logic here.
    Can you explain it?

Mohammad Yaseen replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Alcohol During Food Cooking

Mohammad Yaseen updated 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor December 3, 2020 at 2:20 pm

Salaam.

This is my understanding from this video.

There is a principle of intoxication that is being addressed. He said if the character is changed from being intoxicating to non-intoxicating by any means then it is ok to consume. Eg, vinegar which is derived from ethanol. The question put forth was is cooking wine is allowed which is not intoxicating? He said that if this ingredient doesn’t cause intoxication in a large amount then it is ok to use in a small amount, for cooking. The original principle still stands. The word wine, alcohol, intoxicants are not, necessarily, used interchangeably.

The premise put forth by the illustrious teacher should be very clear to grasp the answer.

Furthermore, he is also addresses personal likes and dislikes.

For percentage left in the food can be addressed by asking the chef. We can ask him as to how much intoxicant is left, according to his knowledge. Then we can make our decision.

Stay blessed, always

• Ahsan

Moderator December 3, 2020 at 2:27 pm

The research paper I studied mentioned that alcohol didnot change its formula. On the other hand, vinegar is acetic acid which is totally different.
    I agree to his personal like and seems to me more better option in this cases.

however, I understood ur point. Thanks for explanation.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor December 3, 2020 at 3:06 pm

I am glad that you understood the explanation.

I have to explain further for people who might have further questions.

Vinegar is acetic acid made by AAB bacteria by fermentation of ethanol (alcohol). This is an example of a product derived from an alcohol, which has changed and is halal from a haram, sort of.

The second point is that cooking will burn the alcohol to some extent, as rightly pointed out. The chef can give specifics and so the haram might be halal.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register