Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam 4:157- Did Christians Believe In The Crucifixion Because Of Established History?

• 4:157- Did Christians Believe In The Crucifixion Because Of Established History?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on December 6, 2020 at 6:52 pm

An-Nisa’ – 4:157

Arabic

وَقَوۡلِهِمۡ إِنَّا قَتَلۡنَا ٱلۡمَسِيحَ عِيسَى ٱبۡنَ مَرۡيَمَ رَسُولَ ٱللَّهِ وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ وَمَا صَلَبُوهُ وَلَٰكِن شُبِّهَ لَهُمْۚ وَإِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱخۡتَلَفُواْ فِيهِ لَفِى شَكٍّ مِّنۡهُۚ مَا لَهُم بِهِۦ مِنۡ عِلۡمٍ إِلَّا ٱتِّبَاعَ ٱلظَّنِّۚ وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ يَقِينًۢا

The Quran says that those who argue in the matter of whether isa عليه السلام was killed by the Jews is are in doubt about it. And that they follow nothing but conjecture.

Then how does it make sense that the crucifixion ‘shubiha lahum’? If it was made to seem like that for them then why are they in doubt?

And don’t the Christians believe in the crucifixion due to established history, how can then what they believe in be reduced to mere conjecture?

Haris Virk replied 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • 4:157- Did Christians Believe In The Crucifixion Because Of Established History?

Haris Virk updated 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member December 7, 2020 at 1:33 am

You question is not clear. To my understanding, they are just guessing that Jesus was crucified, when Allah says that he saved him.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 7, 2020 at 7:08 am

That is what the ayah seems to say yes. But don’t the Christians believe in the crucifixion because of established history like we believe in the founding of Pakistan in 1947?

I cannot remember the video but I think Ghamidi sahab also uses this as an example for established history

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 2, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Any further thoughts?

• Arsalan Riaz

Member January 2, 2021 at 2:24 pm

and for boasting, “We killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of Allah.” But they neither killed nor crucified him—it was only made to appear so.1 Even those who argue for this ˹crucifixion˺ are in doubt. They have no knowledge whatsoever—only making assumptions. They certainly did not kill him.

Dr. Mustafa Khattab, the Clear Quran

I think what the Quran means here is that christians saw Jesus on the cross but he never died on it. I think Jesus was on the crucifix and they assumed they had killed him but God saved him.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 2, 2021 at 2:25 pm

But that is not conjecture. It is still established history

• Arsalan Riaz

Member January 2, 2021 at 2:32 pm

I think the Quran is not denying the established history but it is just pointing out what actually happened rather than what everyone believes happened.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 2, 2021 at 2:33 pm

It calls their belief doubt and conjecture

• Arsalan Riaz

Member January 2, 2021 at 2:42 pm

They are in doubt about what really happened to Jesus rather than the event of crucifixion. The event did happen but they don’t know the reality of it. That is my understanding but i may be wrong.

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 2, 2021 at 2:50 pm

No, The Crucifixion is not supported by established history or consensus among the Christians. They believe in it because of the traditions narrated later by St. Paul’s school of thought.

Imam Amin Ahsan Islahi writes about this: “neither did any incident of killing the Messiah nor of crucifying him took place but the followers among Christians of Saint Paul got hold of this cooked up story and authored a whole mythology on its basis and in this manner in order to please others harmed their own selves. (Amin Ahsan Islahi, Tadabbur-i Qur’an, vol. 2, 420)

… It is thus a fact that about the nature of the incident itself Christians … greatly differ with one another, and the mythology they have fashioned out has many discrepancies. These discrepancies are the obvious outcome of the fact that they have based their version and its reasoning on conjecture instead of reality, and in this manner the Christians crucified themselves on the cross from which the Almighty saved Jesus (sws). (Amin Ahsan Islahi, Tadabbur-i Qur’an, vol. 2, 421)

Also, Gospel of Barnabas stands in stark opposition to their view as narrated by Ghamidi sahib in Al-Bayan: “the situation that was created made the Jews believe that they had actually crucified Jesus (sws). What then did actually happen? The most likely of scenarios is the one depicted in the Gospel of Barnabas. As per its account, when Judas Iscariot after being bribed by the chief priest of the Jews came over with some guards to arrest Jesus (sws), four angels at the behest of the Almighty took him away and transformed the voice and face of Judas into exactly those of Jesus (sws). It was he who was crucified. No one was able to even touch Jesus (sws). It is while pointing to this scenario that perhaps the Qur’an has dubbed it as being made muddled up for the Jews.”

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 2, 2021 at 2:53 pm

The crucifixion is transmitted with the ijma and tawattur of Christians. As a human endeavour it was rightly termed knowledge from established history as far as I know.

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 2, 2021 at 2:55 pm

I am sorry, my sentence wasn’t clear. So, The Crucifixion is established history. BUT that it was Jesus who was crucified is conflicted.

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 2, 2021 at 3:41 pm

The Quran clearly decides it for us that the claim of the Jews that they killed him and the misguided belief of the Christians that it was Jesus who was crucified is totally baseless.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register