Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Responsibilities Regarding Neighbors

• Responsibilities Regarding Neighbors

Posted by Muhammad Ali on December 7, 2020 at 2:40 am

I heard in my childhood, 40 houses in all 4 directions are our neighbors, and we should know there problems or provide them with financial support.

In today’s society, that has become almost impossible, as we are not even familiar with most of the people in our own street as social media App have filled our time.

How much we will be responsible in this regard?

Umer replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Responsibilities Regarding Neighbors

Umer updated 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member December 7, 2020 at 2:49 am

I have not heard of 40 homes. Anyhow we should try to keep ourselves aware of our immediate neighbor’s situation. Stay in touch with them. To my understanding this is not a must do to be a Muslim, but an obligation to take care of our neighbors to be a better Muslim. Before our neighbors, we have responsibilities to take care of our families, parents and close relatives and then neighbors.

• Muhammad Ali

Member December 7, 2020 at 5:24 am

👍🏼

• Umer

Moderator December 7, 2020 at 5:20 pm

…”With regard to one’s neighbours, the view of the Quran is unique in the history of religion and morality. It is generally considered that a neighbour is a person who lives next door or nearby; however, the Qur’an says that a neighbour is of three types:

First, someone who is one’s neighbour and also one’s relative. The Quranic words used are الْجَارِ ذِي الْقُرْبَى and it is mentioned the foremost. It means that among other neighbours, he is more worthy of kind treatment.

Second, someone who is not one’s relative, yet he is one’s neighbour. The words used are الْجَارِ الْجُنُبِ (unfamiliar neighbour). This unfamiliarity can be on the basis of being a relative and also on the basis of having a different religion. After a neighbour who is a relative, comes this neighbour.

Third, a person who accompanies us in travel or while being stationed somewhere. الصَّاحِبِ بِالجَنْبِ are the words used for such a person. Muslims have been directed to treat him kindly too the way other neighbours should be.

Following are the narratives of the Prophet (sws) regarding this treatment:

Abu Shurayh (rta) narrates from the Prophet (sws): “By God! He shall not be a believer; by God! He shall not be a believer.” People asked: “Who? O Messenger of God!” The Prophet said: “A person whose neighbour is not secure from his mischief.” [18]

He also narrates from the Prophet (sws): “He who believes in God and in the Hereafter should respect his neighbour.” [19]

‘A’ishah (rta) reports from the Prophet (sws): “Gabriel emphasized upon me the rights of a neighbour so much that I thought that soon he would make him a share holder in the inheritance [of a person].” [20]

Abu Dharr al-Ghifari (rta) says that the Prophet (sws) advised: “O Abu Dharr! When you cook curry, add extra water to it and remain aware about your neighbours.” [21]

Abu Hurayrah (rta) said that the Prophet (sws) similarly advised women and said: “Muslim Women! No one should consider a gift to a lady who lives in the neighbourhood to be meagre even though it may be the hoof of a goat.” [22]“…

(Excerpt from Meezan: Javed Ahmed Ghamidi)

(Translated by Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

[18]. Al-Bukhari, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 1052, (no. 6016).

[19]. Ibid., 1052, (no. 6019).

[20]. Al-Bukhari, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 1052, (no. 6014); Muslim, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 1144-1145, (no. 6685).

[21]. Muslim, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 1145, (no. 6688).

[22]. Al-Bukhari, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 1052, (no. 6017)

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register