Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Practical Reason For Prohibition Of Pork And The West Eating It

• Practical Reason For Prohibition Of Pork And The West Eating It

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on December 12, 2020 at 2:49 pm

If the prohibition of eating pork is because pigs eat in a disgusting way and will eat whatever you put in front of them, and that this leads to a barbarianism type culture- then why isn’t the west, who eats pork, barbarians like that?

Umer replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Practical Reason For Prohibition Of Pork And The West Eating It

Umer updated 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • Afia Khan

Member December 12, 2020 at 4:51 pm

Prohibition of pork is because Allah SWT told us in Quran. Full stop.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 12, 2020 at 4:57 pm

This is true but we always seek an illah for the rulings to find the wisdom. Because we believe God is wise. And Ghamidi sahab (afaik) says that it is because of the effects of the animal on your psyche (can be seen in his Mizan book probably).

• Afia Khan

Member December 12, 2020 at 5:30 pm

But for the special commands directly given by Allah SWT, our attitude should be سمعنا و اطعنا.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 12, 2020 at 5:31 pm

I am not saying that I am going to eat pork. I am questioning the reasoning given to me about it.

• Umer

Moderator December 12, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Please refer to the video below from 1:34:35 to 1:38:22

https://youtu.be/v1F65aqAEmA?t=5675

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 12, 2020 at 6:50 pm

I get how it wouldn’t be a sudden change if you eat the meat of a pig or another carnivore like a lion but we should at least see something over a long period of time.

The Chinese eat cats and dogs and they don’t seem barbaric. The west eats pork and has been eating it for ages so why are they actually better in terms of manners and character than us?

• Umer

Moderator December 12, 2020 at 6:57 pm

Since we don’t have statistical numbers and it is not easy to quantify these changes so easily, but in my experience I do see a sense of carelessness or leniency towards Tazkiya (in every sphere to some extent) at their end. Just because Manners and Characters are good, this does not mean it hasn’t affected other spheres of their Tazkiya.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 12, 2020 at 6:58 pm

But surely that can’t be due to eating pork

• Umer

Moderator December 12, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Multiple factors are at play that surround and impact a human life, therefore it is not that easy to pin-point their relationship with certainty.

One other factor that needs to be kept in mind is that Pork belongs to Mushtabihaat category for which verdict was given by Al-Mighty Himself. It had an equal chance to be left to the same mushtabihaat category and people had to choose for themselves. Therefore, seeing tangible changes especially for mushtabihaat category seems a very difficult task.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register