Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Brother And Sister Relations

• Brother And Sister Relations

Saba Madani updated 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • Saba Madani

Member December 13, 2020 at 11:48 am

It’s Ok to shake hands with your sister, better to avoid hugs. Better to avoid all physical contact with cousin sister

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 13, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Can you explain why it is better for a brother to avoid hugging his sister? I believe these unnecessary precautions harm the family dynamic more than a simple hug, since they imply the possibility of a brother acquiring feelings for his sister that are completely against human nature. This is a thought for his sister that would probably otherwise never pop into a brother’s mind.

• Saba Madani

Member December 13, 2020 at 7:28 pm

• Saba Madani

Member December 13, 2020 at 8:26 pm

Being a sister and a daughter myself, I let them hug me when I’m wearing heavy clothes like a coat on top of a sweater etc. But when I’m wearing regular clothes at home I avoid it. It’s not comfortable.. I’m sure they feel awkward too. It’s not about halal and haram. It’s just modesty( haya’) and haya’ is part of our deen

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 13, 2020 at 9:06 pm

I suppose that really depends on how the hugging occurs. And of course, modesty is a part of our deen, but I think it would be unfair to say that a hug is absolutely against modesty. The relationships that we share with our loved ones themselves also dictate the appropriateness of how we express our love. So, I don’t think we should treat any particular case as the rule. For example, I do not feel any awkwardness when my mother or sisters give me a hug.

• Saba Madani

Member December 13, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Yes. agree depends on the situation

• Saba Madani

Member December 13, 2020 at 1:30 pm

I respect your thoughts. But if it’s completely impossible for a brother to acquire feelings for his sister why even ask this question?

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 13, 2020 at 1:35 pm

I didn’t say it is “impossible” for a brother to acquire feelings for his sister. Rather, I said that it is completely against human nature, in the same way as it is for a son to have feelings for his mother. There are extremely rare cases when such events occur, described as conditions in the scientific community. However, respecting the relationship that a man shares with his sister or mother and keeping in mind that incestual relationships are considered a taboo worldwide, even in this day and age, my opinion is that it is better to avoid placing precautions. This is just my opinion.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register