Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Qist, Adl, Ihsan And Their Mutual Relationship

Tagged: 

• Qist, Adl, Ihsan And Their Mutual Relationship

Umer updated 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • Sheharbano Ali

Member December 25, 2020 at 5:34 am

Also, what is the relationship in terms of application between these three terms; Qist, Adl and Ihsan.

Are there any limitations to ihsan as to where we can follow it and where we simply can’t? This physical world can’t operate solely on the basis of ihsan. At some instances it becomes incumbent upon us to exercise Qist and at other times Adl.

(Unless I’m defining Ihsan the wrong way which is to give more than what is due and expect less of what is required). Could exercising Adl or Qist ‘where appropriate, in a way that is appropriate’ also mean Ihsan? What is the role of Qist, Adl and Ihsan in the framework of a society? I can always give more, pardon others on an individual level. Its impossible on a societal level.

Please explain Qist, Adl and Ihsan.

• ودود

Member December 25, 2020 at 7:13 am

Ihsan in Arabic means excellence or doing things in the best possible way. In other words, creating more value out of less resources e g by avoiding waste, adding elegance etc.

I think it also mean help and favor over and above what is rightfully due. For example, paying a little more than what you owe or receiving a little less than what is due.

What i understand is that Qist and Adl have the same meaning.

• ودود

Member December 26, 2020 at 7:05 am

Paying more at shops is one way of Ihsan but more importantly it is to create and share most value out of all the blessings of God such as health, knowledge, skills, relatives, friends, employees and employers etc. That is, whatever do, consumer, take care, interact with, etc. we must do it in the best possible way.

• Umer

Moderator December 26, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Ihsan shouldn’t be seen in isolation. It doesn’t exist independently of any other action. And the actions which require ihsan must’ve have an ethical basis for them for begin with (i.e. ikhlaqi bunyaad). It is this basis which requires good deeds and those good deeds are them complemented by Ihsan.

Taking your example, just paying a shopkeeper extra for any purchase without any basis doesn’t come under ihsan by any definition. In some cases, this act can actually tantamount to extravagance (‘israaf’). Now either one should pay that money under umbrella of infaaq because one knows or have a clue that shopkeeper is having troubles in making his ends meet or there must be some other basis like you’re trying to make good for some loss suffered by the shopkeeper at the hands of someone else. Now if you see at the last case, there was no obligation at your end to make good for that loss but you went above and beyond to help out that shopkeeper which will surely come under ihsan but on the basis of infaaq that you decided to do.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register