Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Arabic To Understand Quran

Tagged: ,

• Arabic To Understand Quran

Posted by Arsalan Riaz on December 23, 2020 at 8:29 am

What kind of command on Arabic language we need to understand Quran directly without needing a translation? Can someone plz guide how to learn the Arabic required to understand the Quran without needing a translation.

Hamza Ali replied 2 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Arabic To Understand Quran

Hamza Ali updated 2 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 22 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 23, 2020 at 9:51 am

https://youtube.com/c/bayyinahIf you check here there are 40 3 hour videos that you can watch at 1.5 speed for a beginning. Then you can get a bayyinah tv subscription and continue the classes there- we are on day 18 iirc.Also get a word to word translation of the Quran. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/al-quran-tafsir-by-word/id1437038111 That’s the iOS version but it’s also on android. This will help for vocabulary. But the 40 day intensive will really help for a beginning in grammar. I can understand quite a bit of the Quran directly and it started off by learning juz amma off by heart with the word to word translation. Since the Quran is very easy Arabic you can get quite a bit of the vocabulary just from that one juz. Then later on you can learn more vocabulary.For a deeper literary appreciation the bayyinah tv course is what I recommend.There is also medinah key books online but I like nouman Ali Khan more

• Arsalan Riaz

Member December 23, 2020 at 11:01 am

Thanks

• Hamza Ali

Member June 21, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Bro? After 40 days of bayyinah Institute dream program, will one be able to understand Quran directly from the Arabic text? I’m only asking about basic understanding of the verses. Also, I’m on day 4, should I learn the vocabulary from somewhere else, the bayyinah youtube course includes vocabulary in future days?

• Afia Khan

Member December 23, 2020 at 12:19 pm

Find a teacher and learn it formally if you can. Quranic Arabic Grammar plays a big role in understanding Quran. Use only one grammar book and complete it with teacher. homework and assignments help a lot. Use the online resources as additional support. If you learn and differentiate between nouns اسم(including their status, number, gender, types ), verb فعل(different forms) and particles حرف, memorize some basic tables or charts, then I think you can understand the Quran 70%. There are some gaming apps to learn Quranic words which are helpful too.

• Afia Khan

Member December 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm

One of my favorite app other then the one shared by Br. Ahmad, for word analysis is

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/quran-word-by-word/id588198510

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 23, 2020 at 1:08 pm

Sir, wouldn’t it be easier to read a few translation from some trustworthy scholars who spent their life learning Arabic and brought us the translations to the best of their abilities. Why reinvent the wheel when we can make the wheel better. Unless someone is passionate to spend decades to be expert to do another translation.

https://corpus.quran.com/

See if this site helps. It provides multiple translations of all verses and goes in-depth into Arabic grammar.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 23, 2020 at 2:48 pm

That’s the thing- no translation is perfect. And in any translation of any language to another meaning, emotion, idioms and overall beauty is bound to be lost.

I don’t want to spend time reading Pickthall, Asad, Yusuf Ali, Sahih International trying to decode what is going on.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 23, 2020 at 8:49 pm

I agree. There would be these situations where I would look for multiple translations. 1. I want to be a researcher or translating Quran by myself. 2. The second would be when some translation doesn’t seem right or doesn’t make sense. 3. There is some contention about a meaning and I want to judge by myself which translation is correct translation.

Other than that small variations in Quran’s translation don’t seem to change the intended meaning and the big picture.

If I have time and energy, it will be my honor to learn Quran’s Arabic and Grammar. Still, unless I spend decades learning and researching, I would give my translation less value than the meaning from other multiple scholars who spent lifetime doing this work.

You know sometimes “Neem Hakim, Khatra-e-jaan”..means “not fully qualified doctor is a danger to life”.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 23, 2020 at 8:54 pm

If you know the Arabic then you won’t be translating it at all.

The translations in English at least are at the least very hard to follow with the easy English ones like sahih international and way too Shakespearean with pickthall and yusuf Ali.

So much meaning emotion and beauty is lost in a translation that can only be compensated by learning the language. No translation can translate the emotion and meaning of a word. Like in English if there is sibilance of alliteration it would not be translated over. If I say ‘your absolutely crazy’ in English and someone translates it to ‘aap to bilkul paagal hai’ it won’t be the same. There’s so many examples from Urdu to English where all the meaning is lost.

I don’t know of a single perfect translation. It simply does not and actually cannot exist.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 23, 2020 at 8:57 pm

And you mentioned the big picture. That’s the exact thing. I don’t want the big picture. I don’t want to guess. I want the nitty gritty fine details.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 23, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Shoaib, I commend your passion and it is great for the personal fulfilment to accomplish this. My experience with people getting into nitty-gritty has been negative one. I have observed people loosing the big picture and fighting over insignificant differences. Then this is dividing Muslims into sects. Look at some sects these days. They are based on insignificant differences. Perhaps they lost the big picture when getting into details. They before fully implementing the basics of Islam, fighting over small extra credit type items and making sects and failing the entire exam. Instead of calling themselves only Muslims, they are identifying themselves by their sect first. When someone identifies themselves with a sect, he is creating and promoting secteraianism. This is one of the biggest sin in Islam!

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 23, 2020 at 9:19 pm

No nitty gritty can be insignificant because God chose this word over this word.

Take this as an example

An-Nisa’ – 4:136

Arabic

يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓاْ ءَامِنُواْ بِٱللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِۦ وَٱلۡكِتَٰبِ ٱلَّذِى نَزَّلَ عَلَىٰ رَسُولِهِۦ وَٱلۡكِتَٰبِ ٱلَّذِىٓ أَنزَلَ مِن قَبۡلُۚ وَمَن يَكۡفُرۡ بِٱللَّهِ وَمَلَٰٓئِكَتِهِۦ وَكُتُبِهِۦ وَرُسُلِهِۦ وَٱلۡيَوۡمِ ٱلۡأٓخِرِ فَقَدۡ ضَلَّ ضَلَٰلًۢا بَعِيدًا

Allah chose أنزل for the book revealed before – and the use of this specific morphology for ن ز ل tells us what book it is. The word نزّل is used for the Quran in contrast. This sheds light on the difference between divine scriptures.

No translation can encapsulate this. It will simply use ‘revealed’ or ‘sent down’ for both.

Sure the overall message can be deciphered with a consultation of maybe three translations at once. But for a deep, insightful, intimate relation- the language itself must be learnt. And this is no difficult feat. A language can be learnt in under a year.

• Afia Khan

Member June 25, 2021 at 8:51 am

SubhanAllah. And in the same ayah so many other examples like the use of aaminu (command) & aamanu (past), ضل (past) & ضللا (noun) etc. which can be enjoyed with the understanding of language.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 23, 2020 at 9:21 pm

It is the nitty gritty that can also allow us to have a deeper understanding of the conversations of scholars so we can make a more informed decision of which opinion seems more reasonable to us.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 23, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Take Imaam Farahi’s method of the explanations and understandings of the Quran. To understand the abc of what he’s saying you should have a strong foundation in Arabic.

• Arsalan Riaz

Member December 23, 2020 at 3:20 pm

I think you have a point but Br. Ahmad also has a valid point. We have heard so many times that the real beauty of Quran is in the original Arabic language. Moreover, no matter how great a translation is , it can never do justice to a miraculous scripture like Quran. So I think if a person can invest time and effort he should learn the language of the Quran just to appreciate it’s greatness.

• Hamza Ali

Member June 25, 2021 at 5:27 am

Bro? After 40 days of bayyinah Institute dream program, will one be able to understand Quran directly from the Arabic text? I’m only asking about basic understanding of the verses. Also, I’m on day 4, should I learn the vocabulary from somewhere else, the bayyinah youtube course includes vocabulary in future days?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 5:30 am

It’s had about 160 days and no you won’t be able. Learning a language is a skill and takes time. For basic understanding you can just see word to word Qurans and go through the first few madinah Mittag books إن شاء الله and get a tutor. Best way is to immerse yourself in the langauge by reading Arabic (classical) works as soon as possible etc

• Hamza Ali

Member June 25, 2021 at 1:24 pm

Isn’t there an easy way to learn Arabic for a layman? I’m a busy student and want to understand Quran when it’s being recited or directly from the mushaf. Please help me out with an easy course or method to understand quranic arabic?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 1:28 pm

The methods I have are very easy. Pick up a word to word translation and memorise a juz or two with that word to word translation and you’ll be able to make out a general idea of what’s going on in the ayah.

Though this may be detrimental later on when or if you choose to truly study Arabic.

As for a true understanding of any language- there’s no shortcut .

I’m not going to make any insights in anyone’s character but if the goal is to study the Quran and to want to do it then it should be made a priority. We make time tk study for exams and school. So I’m sure you don’t work 24/7 so you can easily give 2 hours a day for the bayyinah course at 2x speed, skipping over the parts where they recap if needed.

• Hamza Ali

Member June 25, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Okay so I’m going to give this word-to-word translation method a try. Thank you. Just a last question! what do you mean by this: ”Though this may be detrimental later on when or if you choose to truly study Arabic”.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register