A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Wording Of The Adhan

• Wording Of The Adhan

Umer updated 1 year ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • Afia Khan

Member December 23, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:

When the Muslims arrived at Medina, they used to assemble for the prayer, and used to guess the time for it. During those days, the practice of Adhan for the prayers had not been introduced yet. Once they discussed this problem regarding the call for prayer. Some people suggested the use of a bell like the Christians, others proposed a trumpet like the horn used by the Jews, but ‘Umar was the first to suggest that a man should call (the people) for the prayer; so Allah’s Apostle ordered Bilal to get up and pronounce the Adhan for prayers.

Another riwayat

One day, a Sahabi, Abdullah ibn Zaid came to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and said, “O Messenger of Allah! I had a beautiful dream last night.”

“What was the dream you saw”, Prophet Muhammad (SAW) asked Zaid.

Zaid answered, “I’ve seen that a man wearing green garment taught me the words of the Adhan and advised me to call people to prayer with these words.” He then recited the words of the Adhan.

The words were beautiful and full of meaning. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) recognized that the dream of Zaid was true. He asked Zaid to teach the words of Adhan to Bilal.

Bilal stood up and called the Adhan. The voice of Bilal resounded throughout the Madinah. People came running to Masjid Al-Nabawi. Umar ibn Khatib was one of the persons who came and said: “O Messanger of Allah, an angel taught me the same words in my dream last night.” And Prophet Muhammad (SAW) accepted this Adhan as the official call to the Salaah.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 23, 2020 at 9:03 pm

I wonder if the ahadith are sahih. Why wouldn’t God reveal this directly to his own messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم ? Was there any other part of the religion taught to other than the rasool صلى الله عليه وسلم himself?

• Ahsan

Moderator December 24, 2020 at 3:23 am

Good question. I always wondered that

• Fatima

Member December 24, 2020 at 7:12 am

jaha tak ham janty hai,nabi e kareem fajr ke waqt logo se farmaty tumne raat jo khawaab deekha ho mujhe batao log bhi aapna khawaab batate or nabi uska meaning unhe samjhaty to isme kya harj hai ke kisi ne ye kaleemat khawab me deekhe ho,isse ye sabit nahi hota ke nabi ke alava kisi aur par bhi wahi nazil hoti thi.emaan walon ke liye inta hi kafi hona chahiye ke ye kaleemat nabi ke samne ada kiye gaye chahe vo hazrat bilal ne khud se kahe ho ya kisi or campanion ke tajveez ho ya allah ne nabi ko sekhaye ho jis tarha se logo ko bulana chaheye tha bulaya gaya,kyunki aaj agar azan nahi bhi dety hai to koi harj nahi, ham sab janty hai ke quraan ke alava bhi nabi per kuch bate nazil hue hai jaise hadees e jibreel etc,lakin jisse insaniyat ko faida ho,duniya me kistarha rahna hai,durso se mamlat kaise hone chaheye ya akhirat me kya hona hai tamam baton ka ilm quraan me jama kar diya gaya hai.phir bhi jo log khuda ke wajood par sawal karty hai to ispe sawal karna unke liye kafi choti cheez hai.

• Afia Khan

Member December 24, 2020 at 8:40 am

Adnan and Iqama are Sunnahs and not obligated acts. The purpose is only a reminder. (Better than a rock) prayer is still valid without adhan. Even other than some faraidh of salat, nothing is prescribed.

• Umer

Moderator December 24, 2020 at 2:06 pm

Please see these narrations:

Discussion 34528 • Reply 34563

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register