Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam The Sunnah Of Guidance And Misguidance- Wanting To Be Guided

Tagged: , ,

• The Sunnah Of Guidance And Misguidance- Wanting To Be Guided

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on December 28, 2020 at 12:21 am

And you cannot intend [to remain on the right path] unless the Almighty intends so [according to His laws].22 (26-29)

Surah Takwir

I have been watching mizan al hikmah lectures and I think episode 14/15 talks about how you cannot be guided unless God wills it.

Is this ayah about not even being able to want to be guided unless God wills it

or remaining on the path of guidance under God’s will

Because I remember in the lecture it being mentioned that it’s the former but the translation of Ghamidi sahab has these brackets. I may have understood something wrong

If it is the former then how does the first guidance take place- is it just based on God’s knowledge or the persons righteous actions?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • The Sunnah Of Guidance And Misguidance- Wanting To Be Guided

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 14, 2021 at 7:38 pm

@UmerQureshi
    this relates to the topic about 5:94 ليعلم الله

• Umer

Moderator March 15, 2021 at 5:57 am

Both are subject to God’s will and God has told us that His will is subject to honestly using one’s intellect and appreciating the innate guidance within oneself (for search of the right path), and to keep on continuously appreciating that light (for staying on the right path).

If you read all the verses on the said subject, then you get a clear picture of how guidance and error works:

Discussion 22255

Following are two representative verses in this regard, which should be read in conjunction with the above verse posted by you:

وَمَا كَانَ لِنَفْسٍ أَن تُؤْمِنَ إِلاَّ بِإِذْنِ اللّهِ وَيَجْعَلُ الرِّجْسَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ لاَ يَعْقِلُونَ (١٠٠:١٠)

It is not possible for anyone to profess faith [in the Prophet] except by God’s permission. [This permission is only granted to those who use their intellect] and those who do not use their intellect He puts on them the dirt of [error and misguidance]. (10:100)

نُّورٌ عَلَى نُورٍ يَهْدِي اللَّهُ لِنُورِهِ مَن يَشَاء وَيَضْرِبُ اللَّهُ الْأَمْثَالَ لِلنَّاسِ وَاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ (٣٥:٢٤)

Light upon light. God guides to His light whom He wills and God cites parables to mankind and God has knowledge of all things. (24:35)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 15, 2021 at 8:45 am

But the ayaat of surah takwir only that you can’t intend or want (eg use your intellect) unless God wills

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register