Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran Verses Related To Suicide

Tagged: 

• Quran Verses Related To Suicide

Posted by Nadeem Minhas on December 29, 2020 at 9:45 am

Assalam-o-Alaikam. Can anyone please help. I see a very short verse related to suicide in Quran. Can anyone provide reference to all verses that directly or indirectly cover the topic of suicide.

Jazak-Allah

Ahsan replied 3 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Quran Verses Related To Suicide

Ahsan updated 3 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 22 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator December 29, 2020 at 10:19 am

Chk these. I hope it helps
    Quran 4:29, 2:195

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 30, 2020 at 5:53 am

Thank you Ahsan. None of these verses clearly talk about suicide, either directly or indirectly. Also, there not even a story in Quran that covers the topic of suicide indirectly. How did Muslims determine if suicide is Haram when only relying on Quran? Here are the translation of two verses you referred.

Chapter (2) sūrat l-baqarah (The Cow)

Verse (2:195)

Go

Chapter (2) sūrat l-baqarah (The Cow)

Sahih International: And spend in the way of Allah and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction [by refraining]. And do good; indeed, Allah loves the doers of good.

Pickthall: Spend your wealth for the cause of Allah, and be not cast by your own hands to ruin; and do good. Lo! Allah loveth the beneficent.

Yusuf Ali: And spend of your substance in the cause of Allah, and make not your own hands contribute to (your) destruction; but do good; for Allah loveth those who do good.

Shakir: And spend in the way of Allah and cast not yourselves to perdition with your own hands, and do good (to others); surely Allah loves the doers of good.

Muhammad Sarwar: Give money for the cause of God but do not push yourselves into perdition. Do good; God loves the people who do good deeds.

Mohsin Khan: And spend in the Cause of Allah (i.e. Jihad of all kinds, etc.) and do not throw yourselves into destruction (by not spending your wealth in the Cause of Allah), and do good. Truly, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (the good-doers).

Arberry: And expend in the way of God; and cast not yourselves by your own hands into destruction, but be good-doers; God loves the good-doers.

—————–

Verse (4:29)

Sahih International: O you who have believed, do not consume one another’s wealth unjustly but only [in lawful] business by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves [or one another]. Indeed, Allah is to you ever Merciful.

Pickthall: O ye who believe! Squander not your wealth among yourselves in vanity, except it be a trade by mutual consent, and kill not one another. Lo! Allah is ever Merciful unto you.

Yusuf Ali: O ye who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves in vanities: But let there be amongst you Traffic and trade by mutual good-will: Nor kill (or destroy) yourselves: for verily Allah hath been to you Most Merciful!

Shakir: O you who believe! do not devour your property among yourselves falsely, except that it be trading by your mutual consent; and do not kill your people; surely Allah is Merciful to you.

Muhammad Sarwar: Believers, do not exchange your property in wrongful ways unless it is in trade by mutual agreement. Do not kill one another. God is All-merciful to you.

Mohsin Khan: O you who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves unjustly except it be a trade amongst you, by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you.

Arberry: O believers, consume not your goods between you in vanity, except there be trading, by your agreeing together. And kill not one another. Surely God is compassionate to you.

• Ahsan

Moderator December 30, 2020 at 11:41 am

Yes u r right but I thought dont destruct yourself with ur hand seems to me indirectly related to harming one self.
    Since u asked for Quran so I tried to give u quranic verse.
    Suicide is mentioned in hadiths. I just search suicide on sunnah.com You can check them.
    https://sunnah.com/search?q=suicide

Also check, an orientalist study talking about suicide in Islam in this link
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/595571?seq=2#metadata_info_tab_contents

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 30, 2020 at 11:41 am

I think Ghamidi sahab brings suicide under qatal

• Ahsan

Moderator December 30, 2020 at 11:45 am

U r right. I just found the video

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 30, 2020 at 1:04 pm

Thank you Ahsan you are very helpful. The website Sunnah.com is a cover to list ahadith…perhaps there are some Sunnahs there too, but I see a clear distinction between Sunnah and Hadith. Although that is a separate topic.

• Ahsan

Moderator December 30, 2020 at 11:44 am

Kindly Check this video as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDSIevWbOx0

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 30, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Thank you both. You have been very helpful. I am not a believer of Hadith and I even consider many Hadith as “Bhutan” and insult to prophet Muhammad pbuh. Since Ghamidi Sahib say that our entire religion is in Quran and Sunnah, I try to find answers there. What Ghamidi Sahib is saying in the video is his opinion and there are no references. I wonder how Allah missed such an important topic in Quran. Since Allah says Quran is complete, then is it possible that our opinion about suicide is driven by culture, not by religion? I am just curious…

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 30, 2020 at 1:04 pm

I think the point is that murder of any person is haraam- even if that is yourself

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 30, 2020 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Shoaib. Don’t you think this logic doesn’t make sense. Allah has clearly stated in Quran how to perform Wudhu, but suicide is missing. Also this logic doesn’t apply. I am not allowed to take another person’s property but I can consume my property as I wish. Same goes for many other things. Allah has forbidden harming others physically, mentally, financially or psychologically, but I can do these to myself in sports or in some other cases. You got my point.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 30, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Very interesting.

Even when I consume my wealth the right of that wealth is unto God primarily. I give zakah- the first right is of my relatives and my society.

My would and my life is not mine- it is God’s. So me taking it must be with his permission. And he has not permitted me to take any life.

Though your point about a clear reference is interesting

• Ahsan

Moderator December 30, 2020 at 1:05 pm

@faisalharoon @UmerQureshi
      Can you kindly throw some light on this matter?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 30, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Quran mostly gives us principles and in certain instances applications of those principles. In most cases it omits common sense things that the humanity already knows.

In case of suicide, the applicable principle is that of not killing any nafs as Ghamidi sahab stated in the video above. The entire humanity already knows that it’s wrong to take one’s own life. This is evident from the fact that the global rate of suicide despite all kinds of atrocities and injustices around the world is roughly 0.0001%. Even that, for the most part, is linked with brain disorders.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 30, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Thank you Faisal for providing the relavent info. I will continue with the discussion just to make sure we have looked at all aspects of this.

1. First the common sense is not very common across the globe and it changes across cultures and times.

2. The suicide rate is low perhaps because people are afraid of dying maybe not because they think it is wrong. Also perhaps they have hope that things might change.

3. Many cultures and 100s of thousands of people now accept euthenasia and it seems to make sense.

4. What general principal in Quran applies to this? Killing others can’t be the general principal applicable to suicide.

5. I can’t think of anything else missing in Quran that is not covered directly as a statement, indirectly through stories and indirectly through stated principals in Quran.

I think our answer to suicide is based on culture not religion. I have seen some Hadiths against suicide, but I seek answers from Quran and Sunnah. I will continue my search.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 30, 2020 at 7:24 pm

There is a type of common sense that varies in space and time, but the type that I referred to is universal and perpetual.

We have no evidence that people don’t commit suicide just because they’re afraid.

There’s no principle in the Quran about killing ‘others’. The principle is about killing ‘nafs’ (Quran verse 6:151).

• Ahsan

Moderator December 31, 2020 at 12:22 am

Thanks for clarification

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 31, 2020 at 6:58 am

Thanks Ahsan. I looked at all Ayahs related to killing. There is specific mention of killing others in many Ayahs.

While sincerely trying to find an answer, and reviewing all the available info, I have reached the following conclusion.

According to Allah, the Quran is complete and I have found every answer in it. There are something’s Allah has deliberately not covered or covered vaguely in Quran (as stated in Quran by Allah) for the following purposes. 1. Those who want to find faults in Quran or want to choose the wrong path could justify it. 2. Those sincere see the right path 3. Not covering or vaguely covering means Allah reserves the right to make alternative decision or keep options open for the right people.

For example. In case of suicide. If a person is deserving Junnah, Allah perhaps will not take away his/her Junnah because he/she committed suicide.

On the other hand if someone is going to hell any way and commits suicide, the additional punishment of the person regretting for eternity in hell for not giving himself chance/time in the World to correct himself and earn Junnah is enough of a punishment.

This is my opinion. So is the opinion of scholars who associate killing others or Nafs and extending the rule to suicide…Quran does not seem to cover this topic directly or indirectly.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 31, 2020 at 7:11 am

Here is an afterthought. Allah sent us in this World for a test and gave us a chance to prove ourselves so we would not complain that Allah is unjust. Otherwise Allah already knows the future of all humans and could have rewarded or punished people just based on his knowledge and without sending us to this World, but then we would have complained that Allah did not gave us a chance and it is an injustice.

So if someone commits suicide, then Allah reserves the right to give that person heaven or hell based on his knowledge of what that person would have done if he/she had completed his/her full test in this World. In this case the person who committed suicide would not be allowed to complain that an injustice is being done if Allah sends him/her to hell based on his knowledge. That is why perhaps suicide is Haram, but I still doubt a person who commits suicide will go to hell by default.

• Ahsan

Moderator December 31, 2020 at 10:33 am

Wow thats a new insight. I never thought that way. Thanks for it.

• Umer

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 7:38 am

For further commentary, please refer to the video below from 45:50 to 49:06

• Umer

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 7:39 am

Please also refer to the link below from 38:15 to 41:53

ilm-o-Hikmat 10-07-2016

• Ahsan

Moderator March 8, 2021 at 4:50 am

Recently, Ghamdi sb reiterate that Suicide is haram based on killing of nafs. Refer to following video from 1:18:33 to 1:19:06
    https://youtu.be/cEMPPtUpRnM?t=4713

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register